Skipping open circuit and going straight to CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

takez0

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post here. I've learned a ton on this board and I'm grateful for the insights you all provide.

I'm getting into technical diving and I'd like to jump straight into a CCR. Does the group see any benefit or hindrance in skipping open circuit tech training costs and equipment costs and going straight into a CCR? CCR's are obviously an investment. I'd rather not spend money on a new BCD, manifold, tanks, etc., that would only be used specifically for dual-tank open circuit, considering I know where I want to end up already. Let me know your thoughts or if you think this is missed training opportunity.

I started diving on a CCR. Before using OC at all.
A pure oxygen CCR was the basic scuba system for training new divers, here in Italy, until 1980.
My suggestion is to first learn and be certified for recreational CCR.
After some recreational experience diving CCRs, start tech training with it.
I am not sure which agency supports such path, indeed.
Here in Europe most agencies terminated their recreational CCR programs.

Oxygen CCR is a different thing. You don’t need to bailout to OC. Starting with a CCR that requires OC bailout without any experience on OC doesn’t sound smart nor safe to me.

This is my first post here. I've learned a ton on this board and I'm grateful for the insights you all provide.

I'm getting into technical diving and I'd like to jump straight into a CCR. Does the group see any benefit or hindrance in skipping open circuit tech training costs and equipment costs and going straight into a CCR? CCR's are obviously an investment. I'd rather not spend money on a new BCD, manifold, tanks, etc., that would only be used specifically for dual-tank open circuit, considering I know where I want to end up already. Let me know your thoughts or if you think this is missed training opportunity.
You mentioned a Choptima originally. That rebreather gets added to everything used in OC. You use the same wing, backplate, tanks, etc. It is just a rebreather with an O2 bottle clipped on the front. The back mounted cylinders are now your DIL and/or Bailout (depending on configuration). 99% of what you need for OC is used with the Chomtima.

Cylinders you would used for OC, they are still useful on CCR. Regulators, also transition over. Even some of the traditional backmount CCRs will still attach to your existing backplate and wing. Transitioning from OC to CCR won't leave you with a pile of unused gear. Few little odds and ends. You won't be starting over with the gear collection. Just adding to the collection.

What is wrong with an entry level CCR course, limited to 20m and air only.

If one existed when I started out I would have done it.
I believe risks involved greatly outweighs the reward. Without a right, attentive mindset things can go very bad very fast. Especially if we are talking OW class on CCR.

If I was doing 20m air dives probably I would diving sidemount only.

Oxygen CCR is a different thing. You don’t need to bailout to OC. Starting with a CCR that requires OC bailout without any experience on OC doesn’t sound smart nor safe to me.
Recreational nitrogen-oxygen CCR does not require separate bailout tanks.
Only "bailout" used is simply a second stage taking air from the diluent tank.
Limited depth, of course, say 30m max and no deco.
And of course recreational CCR comes only AFTER recreational OC.
I think it was a nice step towards tech CCR, but, as said, recreational CCR almost disappeared here...

If I had buckets of money and wanted to switch to rebreathers I’d just use rebreather bailout.

Rebreather bailout is just open circuit.
If you’re talking about a bailout rebreather (BOB). I believe that’s a case of needing to crawl before doing parkour. Also my understanding is that’s it’s not worth the risk or effort until you’re heading well past 100m and can no longer carry enough OC bailout.

You posted 2 reasons for going straight to CCR, not buying extra gear and knowing where you want to end up.

I would seriously let go of that not having extra gear or saving money if tech diving is in your future. You are going to accumulate an absurd amount of stuff and none of it is going to be cheap.

I commend knowing where you want to end up but I am solidly in the do OC training first camp, especially if the Choptima is what you are considering. The Choptima and BM doubles or SM is a modular system , why wouldn’t you use it as such?

When, not if things go south with the rebreather, OC is what will save your life.

With that in mind I think being highly proficient with OC is very valua
On ccr when it goes wrong it can often cascade into task overload and go down hill very quickly -if you do not have a solid OC platform to arrest that cascade so that you can address issues at hand you are in a perlious situation.

A solid OC platform is what all other skills are built on

Try before you die buy.

Rebreather bailout is just open circuit.
If you’re talking about a bailout rebreather (BOB). I believe that’s a case of needing to crawl before doing parkour. Also my understanding is that’s it’s not worth the risk or effort until you’re heading well past 100m and can no longer carry enough OC bailout.
Why does it have to be OC? Use another rebreather as bailout. No need for OC. Why bother with OC if you intend to dive a rebreather. The bailout can’t be any more complex than the main unit.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom