Skipper charged in diver death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it was a commercial op plain and simple either here or in the us
I can be a commercial builder. welder, electrician or whatever. If I am self employed I have the option of being covered and regulated by OSHA (WISHA in Washington)

But is it there? Are these guys considered "commercial divers" under OSHA? The case seems less 'a few corners were cut' and more 'third world: anything goes'! If Wodyga is to be believed everybody did it and presumably still does it. Workplace safety rules do not seem to have played a part in the court case, only general liability and gross legligence.Wondering if anyone knows what sort of regulatory regime Adams and Wodyga (and their colleges today) are under.

It is iffy, depends on who they were working for/what they were working under (private/public/govt.). I consider any seafood harvester to be a professional diver and reserve the commercial title for the people who build/maintain/repair - generally the people who wear dive helmets opposed to masks or SCUBA rigs. Right or wrong, that is my mental process for distinguishing between the two. Likely jurisdiction under federal or state regulations if not a training or scientific diving service. Sub-part T still applies if the op doesn't fall under the specified exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom