Skin-diver Magazine? Anyone miss it? I do...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"SKIN DIVER MAGAZINE" was the 1st magazine devoted to diving. I own 25 years of the magazine and I cruise Ebay trying to find old issues I don't have to add to my collection. The articles and ads printed in the magazine were great. Can you imagine getting a DA Aquamaster, tank and pack for less than $100 .... in 1968 you could through an ad by Central Skin Divers. Just read thru the years of equipment reviews and see how many products made it or were forgotten when their company went out of business. Finding new dive sights, articles about different underwater events and editorials concerning safety and diving in general will be missed....... SKIN DIVER Magazine was the best ...... none of the current crop of "dive" magazines can come close to it.

Scuba Diving magazine looks pretty much like Skin Diver did for years before the end. I didn't bother renewing Scuba Diving when mine ended recently, they just repeat the same non-objective info over and over and it got old. I still get Sport Diver (pretty much the same) for my useless glossy magazine fix, I figure it's worth it if I happen to use one of the PADI discount things.

I get SportDiver through my PADI Diving Society membership.

Skin Diver Magazine was the only game in town for years. I still have a few copies from the early 70s that I can't bring myself to throw out. I know exacly what Scubapro50 means when he mentions the wonderful old ads. They give a unique look back into another era. The articles were always positive, very much a sales job for advertisers, but I think we all understood that. It was the only way for the ordinary diver to get a sense of the bigger picture, to know what was new, what was changing, back in those pre-internet days. I subscribed for years, long after it was really a valuable source of information, out of pure nostalgia. I remember when Paul Tzimoulis updated his picture to one that was more contemporary. It was kind of sad, in a way. The old order passes away. Here's a toast to Paul's memory, and a thank you for so many things.

Back
Top Bottom