Skin Ditch and Don

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just went through this. As I am on the plus side of the half-century mark I was a bit worried but eventually managed to get it.

1) I built up my breath-holding tolerance by holding my breath and walking at a brisk pace. I did this at work walking between buildings. After a week of doing this a few times a day I was able to get to up over 1 minute without much problem.

2) There is a very big psychological component to this. Call it "zen" or meditation or whatever, you really have to mentally visualize success.

3) You should be able to swim the distance and put on the gear in about 15 seconds. Coupled with #1 (I *can* hold my breath for 1 minute while working) and #2 (I *will* do this) this gets a positive mental picture going.

4) In the YMCA program you get 30 seconds between the surface swim and then the underwater swim back to the gear. I used this time to really *really* relax and focus (more mental stuff) and did some really deep breaths to get the CO2 down (I've had a very brief static apnea training session and I used some of what I learned here)

5) Finally, just do it - yes - your brain is screaming at you to go up for air but you really can stay down for as much time as it takes.

I'm not particularly young or a great swimmer. I really believe that if you are healthy enough to pass the surface swimming skills test that you can do the underwater part too. My instructor-trainer kept telling me the same thing - you can do it - and he was right. I just want to pass along all the encouragement possible. Keep a positive attitude and you will get it done.

Jim is right - once you get this skill, you will feel like you can take on the world.

This is twinkles buddy from the pool....My name is Todd

He is on the verge of getting it.....almost had it once but the snorkle was not in and mask was full.

The key for me to getting this done was WEIGHT! I took 5 pounds and sat on the bottom....thereby I did not exert energy by be a spaz underwater..I was CALM.

I also went SLOW and was confident, he is right by saying I would drown myself before coming up :) Heck everyone there is Rescue Certified and CPR trained, I would be in good hands :)

He has plenty of underwater breath time.....its the last bit that his brain is screaming BREATH and he must say No way, not till I get these dang fins on and clear this mask.....That's all I did....basically defy my brain.

I have started practicing breath hold. While resting I got it up to a minute fifty seconds. But walking around the house and up and down stairs, I stalled at 47 seconds last night. I have five more days to practice breath hold. Then I think the key is going to be relaxing. And as Todd and SPhillips say, just staying down till it is done.

For what it is worth, I am starting to feel confident I will complete the Skin ditch and don this weekend. I have been practicing breath holds while walking around. I am up to 70 seconds (each) for two breath holds back to back with a 5 breath recovery in between. I have been trying to walk around slowly to simulate the mild activity the exercise requires. I am confident that 70 seconds is enough to do each of the two phases of the exercise--the ditch followed by the recovery.

Mostly what I have learned from practicing breath holding is that I can keep holding my breath well beyond the point where I first start feeling like I really really have to breath. I was hoping that I could get to the point that the urge to breath didn't become urgent until at least a minute. I still want to breath after about 30 seconds, but now I know I can still go another 40 seconds more if I force myself. I beleive knowing that will be the key to success.

Moreover, I am going to borrow some spring straps and ankle weights which I think will make things easier.

Someone gave you a great tip above when they mentioned visualization. This may help: Go to the bottom of the pool and sit (or lie) there while you visualize doing this skill. Chances are you will visualize it at a rather quick pace. The key is, however, to perform every subsequent visualization at a slower rate. In other words, slow down the skill in your mind as you mentally rehearse it. This will direct your attention to relaxing and performing the skill while taking the focus off of the unpleasant feeling in your lungs.
By the way, a great way to induce relaxation in a rather quick way is through some alternate nostril breathing...very effective...look into it! Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom