Skin Bends symptoms reappearing 48 hours later

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immune system can contribute to the rash initially provoked by nitrogen bubbles. I am not surprised that immune cells produced delayed reaction in the area which originally sustained some damage from nitrogen bubbles

I had a bad DCS II back 4 or 5 years ago. with 4+liters of IV fluids in the chamber, drinking as much as I could and still on high volume IV's it still took 2 days before I was able to pee again.
I left the hospital weighing 12Kilos over my normal weight and my body looked bloated. 3 weeks later, after my damaged cells had healed I was back to my normal weight.
If your DCS is serious you will become dehydrated by your body's trying to fill the damaged cells with fluids.
Michael

Dunno, tendi. DDM and the DAN phone staff usually are in agreement, but here they seem split.

What patients, especially patients coming in through the ER and in distress, seem to forget is that they always have the right to decline treatment, and the right to be fully informed of what is being done. If they are not fully informed, they cannot give "informed consent" and the lawyers just love that.

If someone says you're dehydrated and need IV fluids, ask them "What color was my pee?" Yes, there actually are 10-step scales for urine color, if it is not water white, you need more water. If it is very light yellow, that's perfectly normal. If it isn't starting to look like ginger ale or green tea...you ain't seriously dehydrated yet. Oral rehydration salts are dirt cheap, they actually force water through the intestine and into the body, faster than plain water would go. If the facility doesn't have them, they should have PediaLyte or G2 (not regular Gatorade, that's full of sugar) available.

Sometimes "bush medicine" really IS all that's appropriate or necessary. In this case, whether it was skin bends or "sea lice"...we'll probably never know. I saw someone with "sea lice" reaction two years ago. Ugly and worrisome, to be sure. But in some places, that's an annual event too.

Probably why so many stylish rash guards are being sold these days!

If it was me, I would have declined the fluids. But, the person with the condition didn't see the harm and didn't mind the poke.

It wasn't sea lice....or if it was they were the most aggressive sea lice I've ever seen to get through a 3mm wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom