Skiatook/Oologah Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba.Pete

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just finished my OW a few weeks ago, and I'm eager to get more bottom time. I live within 30 minutes of both Skiatook and Oologah.
Has anyone been in these lakes?
If so, are they worth diving?

I have dove Skiatook Lake a couple of times, it is only good to about 15' after that there is a layer of algae or something and then the water gets cold quickly and dark. The bottom is very silty. The only way you and your dive buddy can stay together is with a tether. Dive lights only good for about 1' just about enough to read your computer/gauges. I don't know of anyone who has ever dove Oologah. The closest place to dive in this area is Tenkiller, then Oronogo MO. then Beaver Lake in Arkansas. Broken Bow, and Murray Lake are also nice dives but a little further to drive. I will pm you with some information about a local dive club we have in this area. This is a great way to meet other divers and make some great friends.

soonerwink has it right. . . shallow and silty. My friends and I thought it would be good for catfishing, but it isn't. Heavy boat traffic and shallow silty areas seem to keep it stirred up every time we tried it. A strange twist of visibility, we found our best dive off the north side of an island far from the dam and near the bridge across the lake. Right where the swimmers were swinging on a rope over the water. But, while it was better viz, it's not worth going back for. In the rocky areas we could see a little bit, but when you near the bottom it turned bad.

OOlogah is worse. . . went there for a body search, The water was very shallow, no visibility and deep soft mud, diving was canceled and the body floated a couple of days later.

Thanks for the info...I guess I'll stick to the surface activities on Skiatook/Oologah and save the diving for some other puddles.

Transplanted Okie living in Texas here,
Where is Oronogo? How is that closer to Stillwater/Norman/Tulsa than Murray? Murray is pretty darn close! But I digress. Where is Oronogo?

JR

Oronogo is about ten miles northeast of Joplin, MO.. Long drive from Texas, but only 2 hours from Tulsa..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom