Skeptical of DCS diagnosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polkadot_rockfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'd love to hear another opinion on this.

Doctor said (with DAN consult) that it was likely that I had mild DCS, based on my symptoms of unusually extreme fatigue and vertigo/dizziness persisting over >24 hrs. I thought I just was extra tired from a stressful class in which I had to control out-of-control students more than once. I thought the vertigo was my normal sea legs which somehow translated into "sea head" from being on a boat all day. The only reason I went in was to get a note for work since they didn't want to let me off a day for just being zombie-tired.

Now granted, I did 6 dives over 30 hrs, and the second day was to 130 ft (28% nitrox), 75 ft (air), and 89 ft (air), all of which involved some sort of vertical chasing of students, including one slightly speedy sawtooth ascent with an "Adv" OW student who decided to bolt and I grabbed her and dumped air and brought her up at a somewhat reasonable pace just by hanging on to her from below, but I didn't exceed 60 fpm. So, did I really get a hit? I think I might never know. O2 did make my head clear, but perhaps that was a placebo effect. Either way, I'll follow the no diving for 2 weeks advice, but I'd love to hear what others think about this.

One of the key points is the onset time of the symptoms, when did yours start?

You mention the O2 provided some releif, was that the day after? And did you take a chamber ride and if so- what were the effects?

But before going any further you need to understand that no one can diagnose a condition over the internet, at best you may get some educated guesses, at worst, wild speculation.

I'd love to hear another opinion on this.

Doctor said (with DAN consult) that it was likely that I had mild DCS, based on my symptoms of unusually extreme fatigue and vertigo/dizziness persisting over >24 hrs.

. . .

exceed 60 fpm. So, did I really get a hit? I think I might never know. O2 did make my head clear, but perhaps that was a placebo effect. Either way, I'll follow the no diving for 2 weeks advice, but I'd love to hear what others think about this.

I think you should listen to DAN and your doctor and do whatever they tell you.

Did they recommend re-compression? I'm not a doctor, but if O2 made anything better, you should at give DAN a call again, tell them that and clarify what you should be doing.

Also, I'd probably sort this out with them sooner rather than later.

Terry

thanks for weighing in. i realize there can't be a diagnosis, just wondering whether this seems like a surprising hit or perhaps just a cautious diagnosis (caution is, of course, preferred). i generally trust DAN, so i am definitely going to follow instructions. the Dr. and DAN said they'd have sent me to the chamber if i'd come in within 24 hrs, but i didn't come in until 48 hrs. after the last dive. so they seemed to think the non-rebreather O2 would help if anything would at this point, though i did get a slap on the wrist for not coming in earlier. of course, i didn't realize that i should at the time.

so maybe i'll call DAN back and just check personally if there's anything else i should be doing. i can get more O2 if necessary. (the instructor i was DM'ing the deep specialty and AOW for may be willing to pony up the O2 kit for me -- it was a rough weekend in Monterey!)

thanks again for your thoughts.

Definitely sounds like a mild hit, if I had vertigo I would have insisted on being put in the chamber for a ride. Bouncing chasing students will do it all the time. Better safe than sorry.

Hi rockfish:

DCS is sometimes hard to tell. Dizzyness and vertigo and very tired are suspecious. Next time, I would not wait. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom