SK7 vs SK8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does the new magnetic chip work while using a DPV? The SK7s worked fine if you mounted them on the nose cone (Seadoo) to get away from the EMF of the motor.

SK7 is not reliable
for the 2 i used : after 3-4 years, a bubble appears, and the compass doesn't work anymore, frozen, under pressure.
never more.

my no-name compass is always working after 10 years.

SK7 is not reliable
for the 2 i used : after 3-4 years, a bubble appears, and the compass doesn't work anymore, frozen, under pressure.
never more.

my no-name compass is always working after 10 years.

Same.

I have either a sk7 or sk8, how do I tell one from the other?
IMG_1704.JPG

@FM1520

From what I have seen, the SK7 (which I own a couple of), has a gray bezel and the SK8s that I have seen in person (fellow club members) and shops have a more silvery looking bezel.

If you take the compass capsule out from the protective boot so you can see the underside of the card, you should be able to see the magnetic chip on one side (north/south) of the floating card in the SK8...I have pulled my SK7 capsule to check the NH/SH model orientation and did not see a chip...so I assume no chip = SK7, chip = SK8.

If you bought yours new the packaging would indicate which you bought. If you bought yours used....there is not much of a difference to be all that concerned about unless you were advertising it for sale and want to know for the product listing.

Both the SK7 and SK8 seem to suffer the same fatality of developing hairline cracks in the face of the capsule which causes the oil to leak out and an air bubble to form. The bubble eventually becomes big enough that it jams up the rotating card at depth making the compass useless.

Depth and pressure gauges with lexan/plastic capsules seem to be indestructible compared to the craptastic plastic that Suunto is using for their compass capsules.

-Z

thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom