Sizing question for anyone owning a Aqua Lung AquaFlex suit....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm considering a nice deal on a lightly used Extra Large AquaFlex suit in 7mm, and unfortunately, trying it on first isn't an option.
I have a pretty "average" build, nothing disproportionatly large or small (no jokes, please :D) height is 5-11", and currently weigh 210#, but expect to drop down to around (if not under) 200# this spring (once we're consistently warm enough again to get back to hammering the bike miles almost every day (I dropped 45 pounds last summer and fall, so I'm confident this next 10+ will drop,as well).
The guy selling it (seems like a very straight shooter) is a little shorter and stockier than me, and with more belly, (he's 5-10" and 215) and says it fits him "very well, but has a bit of space in the armpit area", which is my main concern. I have a bit of residual bulk in the upper arms and chest from decades of regular gym activity, that might help fill this space up, but alas, I'm a lot older now, and ain't as beefy as I once was !!!
The size chart from A.L. shows this suit in XL to be ideal for divers weighing 195-220, and 5-11"-6-2", so I'd be at the lower end of their parameters. Going by the chart, I should be ok at 200 lbs, but we all know how much variance there can be in suit sizing, so I've been fishing around for info.
Any input would be greatly appreciated........

Last edited:
I am 5'-11" and weigh 185 lbs. I have an Aqua Lung AquaFlex 3mm suit in XL. It fits me just a little loose. I like it that way. It is a little big in the waist, but the chest fits just fine.

To follow up on @Charles2 ’s feedback, my dive buddy/significant other has a men’s AquaFlex 3mm and I have the women’s 3mm, 5mm, and 8/7mm. FWIW, both of us had to size down in the 3mm from our usual size so my 5mm and 8/7 are larger sizes. We wear one size larger for the thicker suits.

You know this already but having a good fit in a wetsuit is important. A 7mm suggests you’re diving in cold water so that is even more of a reason. Their size charts are a starting point but I would not rely heavily on them. Both of us ended up outside of the range. Have you ever tried any other suits before? The best thing is to be able to try one on in person but barring that, I think the best way is to measure the area that usually poses a problem for you (e.g.: chest) and ask the seller to measure themselves in the same region so you can compare whether that will be a good fit for you or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom