Size/shape of doubles wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Tobin,

A quick question about the size a shape of your full circle doubles wings, if you don't mind.
When I look at the top row here:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=wings
I see the 57, 49, 42, and 38. I was noticing that overall shape of the wings are different, with the 49 and the 38 having a more rounded look, and the 57 and 42 having a more oblong shape. Is there a reason for this, or one shape recommended for one type of configuration over the other?
With the 38 and 42 having a difference of only 4 pounds of lift, I figure there must be a reason you offer them in the different shape.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Tobin,

A quick question about the size a shape of your full circle doubles wings, if you don't mind.
When I look at the top row here:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=wings
I see the 57, 49, 42, and 38. I was noticing that overall shape of the wings are different, with the 49 and the 38 having a more rounded look, and the 57 and 42 having a more oblong shape. Is there a reason for this, or one shape recommended for one type of configuration over the other?
With the 38 and 42 having a difference of only 4 pounds of lift, I figure there must be a reason you offer them in the different shape.

Thanks,
Jason

Great question, you have a pair of sharp eye's Jason.

The reason we provide a "plan view" shot of our wings is to provide the user with some information concerning where a given wing will first fill with gas. Where ever the wing is widest is where it will first fill with gas, if the diver is horizontal.

The Torus 38 and 49 are examples of "Top Biased" wings, or wings that will provide more lift closer to the divers shoulders.

The Torus 42 and 57 are "bottom biased" with more lift at the hips.

The selection process is pretty cut and dried regarding required lift, basically just a math problem. Choosing between a top or bottom biased wing involves a few other factors. Length of the cylinders, height of the diver, additional ballast required etc.

For example a diver that will require a substantial weight belt, and is using longer cylinders will probably benefit from a bottom biased wing.

OTOH, a diver with shorter bottles and / or little or no ballast in a belt will usually benefit from a top biased wing.

Tobin

Very interesting Tobin, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom