Situations where side mount become PITA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually when trained properly I find SM more stable on land and on a boat than backmount ...but many aren't taught well

that is certainly half the battle. At my size I still find doubles quite easy, but I'm a lot bigger than most. The biggest thing I struggle with in sidemount is getting bottles donned out of the water. I try to avoid it whenever possible and between that and climbing ladders, I just prefer doubles, but my size may help with that vs. others.

@Schwaeble it's difficult to determine because what is deemed as a good sidemount class in a cave environment may not be the best option prior to going into a boat diving environment at least in terms of getting to the water. Best thing to do is find an instructor who actively dives what you are going to dive. I.e. if I want to learn to dive sidemount in a wreck, I'm probably going to suck it up and go train with Andy Davis over Edd Sorenson. Conversely if I want to dive in a cave, I'd go the other way around. Not that either isn't able to teach the other side or that what you would get from them wouldn't be applicable, but there is nothing like going to the guys that actually do this stuff day in and day out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom