Sipidan water village?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janeandjay

Reaction score
Our travel agent loves this place. She didn't talk to us about anywhere else in Borneo (she's been 11 times). Any opinions out there as to whether we should research the hell out of this thing and make sure the place is "exactly what we want" or should we just trust her and go for it?

janeandjay:
Our travel agent loves this place. She didn't talk to us about anywhere else in Borneo (she's been 11 times). Any opinions out there as to whether we should research the hell out of this thing and make sure the place is "exactly what we want" or should we just trust her and go for it?

There are only a handful of dive resorts in Mabul. To be exact, four. There is also one at Kapalai, which is about 10 minute boat rides away. I just came back from Mabul last weekend, staying with Borneo Divers. They are not bad.

During the stay I have also taken a peek at Sipadan Water Village and Sipadan-Mabul Resort. Will proabably stay with Sipadan Water Village for my next visit. There is another resort, Seaventure, which is a converted old oil rig that you can consider.

Note that Mabul island is about the size of a golf ball :), it takes about 30 minutes walking to cover the whole island. So, all these resorts are pretty much next to each other, and the village too. Hope that helps.

Borneo Divers are fine. Good food, no problems with accomodation and everything works. You should not pay more than US$105 per night for accomodation alone(excl flights).

SWV (Sipadan Water Village) is great, not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I'd do it again with them as they were friendly, the rooms very nice and the food great! A few drawback were several of the DM's (actually just one) were a bit arrogant, maybe had seen a few too many groups come through. I could have easily 'gotten into it' with one of these guys. But don't let it stop you, SWV go for it and have fun!

janeandjay:

Almost all of the resorts mentioned maintain a similarly high standards of service. you will find that each will have their own loyal customers. i have stayed with Borneo when they had their resort on sipadan and would rate them highly. I stayed at Smart's on my last trip in June and would also recommend them highly. It might help if you could be more clear about 'exactly what we want'

Sea Venture operate a converted oil-rig . Sipadan Water village is built over ther water. Smart is more spacious and they have a swimming pool.

I would also check out Mabul Water Bungalows, owned by SMART. My understanding is that they are the newest water bungalows built on the island, and all the dive operations are run by SMART.

We are booked with them for the first week in January!

www.mabulwaterbungalows.com

J.

Thanks for the opinions and insights.
We are looking at 14-16 days in Borneo with 8-10 being at SWV or maybe one of the other similar places pointed out on this tread. The rest of the trip will be traveling around the countryside within the time remaining.
I guess we're thinking of basing out of KK and doing day trips or storing our scuba gear and extra baggage in a KK hotel and doing overnights around the area. Any suggestions or must sees around the country?
Thanks again. I can always count on these forums to fill me with knowledge.
Jane

janeandjay:
Thanks for the opinions and insights.
We are looking at 14-16 days in Borneo with 8-10 being at SWV or maybe one of the other similar places pointed out on this tread. The rest of the trip will be traveling around the countryside within the time remaining.
I guess we're thinking of basing out of KK and doing day trips or storing our scuba gear and extra baggage in a KK hotel and doing overnights around the area. Any suggestions or must sees around the country?
Thanks again. I can always count on these forums to fill me with knowledge.
Jane

Hi Jane,

Glad to hear that you have chosen to spend your vacation in Malaysia !!

Sabah is a great destination for outdoor activities. Since you will have in excess of 2 weeks you have quite many options . I would suggest you contact a KK based in-bound tour company who will be able to help you with your itinerary, hotels, transfers and domestic travel for the duration of your stay. They should be able to help with storage of stuff as well.
There is a company I know KK tours who I would recommend highly. I do not have their contact at hand. You can pm me for contact if you think that will be useful.

Activity to consider :

1. Hike up Mount Kinabalu - highest peak in Asia to watch sunrise . Breathtaking !!!
this is a hike and not serious mountain climbing.

2. Orangutan sanctuary

For Sipadan, I personally prefer SMART. they have more room to stretch legs and the swimming pool. If budget is not too tight, you can try their Water Bungalows. Depending on when you get to Malaysia, you may consider booking through a Kuala lumpur based dive operator who will be able to help with your transit in Kuala Lumpur. The company I went with in June do instructor -led tours all the way to Mabul. their rates are lower than booking direct.

You will love Sipadan/Mabul !! If you need more info, you can PM me or reply.

Tze

Stayed at SWV in 2002(?)...loved it loved it loved it...except that it's alittle crowded. If we go back to Mabul, we'l probably try for kapalai. But SWV was great! Japanese owned, therefore quite a many jap divers. Very nice and clean big rooms on stilts above the water. Enjoyed the dives there. Dive centre very neat and organised. Safe dive guides. Go for it!

I was with Mabul Smart last year and loved it. Simple but very cool. 2 american divers stayed with Borneo Divers in Mabul and then a week in SMART...they said it was ok with Borneo Divers, but it lacked a place to hang out (and that won´t be a problem with Smart).

For something more sophisticated, I'm sure you will love SWV in Mabul (I can send you photos of those).

Enjoy Sipadan and take a close look to the "muck diving" in Mabul and Kapalai...with the right guide (Ben) you will see some REALLY weird stuff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom