Sipadan Permit System...revisited!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, the problem is that the lack of enforcement in the past has allowed many more beds, and therefore divers to be attracted into the area without a realistic chance of getting the diving they have been led to expect.

I think the system would be improved by the diver applying for the permit, not the resort. Allow a quota for locals and a reduced price with the rest being available to overseas tourists. Then if we had a 4 day permit we would know we would get 4 days diving.

I, for one, am quite pleased to hear that Malaysia is cracking down and enforcing the permit system to protect the reef and sea life.

I also don't believe there is such a thing as booking permits on Sipadan in advance. But if I'm not mistaken the resort can submit names at least 2 weeks in advance for the ones that booked well in advance. Which is where you may have an advantage. However there is a difference in submitting names and knowing who actually get to go, which is only decided (as others noted) on the day before. My 2 cents..

For other dive sites in Borneo;
- Layang Layang
- Lankyan
- Labuan (wrecks)
for example

Lankayan is great. My friend Mel runs a great show over there! And he plays a mean guitar!
Nice diving and atmosphere and best of all......No FRIGGIN' permits to deal with!
Enjoy,
Susie

Thank goodness for this board!
Just found two posts about the 120 divers limit.

Was putting together a N. Sulawesi and Sipadan dive trip for Sept '09. Never been to N. Sulawesi and really looking forward to it. Have been 4 times to Sipadan, but the others I'm going with haven't been.

It's a huge chunk of change for us jsut to fly from the US to SE Asia. To not be assured diving the destination you're shooting for gives us pause for a re-think.

We were really hoping to round out the holiday with jungle time in Sabah because that makes for such a diverse vacation. If we can't dive at least 2/day at Sipadan, we'll probably skip Sabah altogether.

We were really hoping to round out the holiday with jungle time in Sabah because that makes for such a diverse vacation. If we can't dive at least 2/day at Sipadan, we'll probably skip Sabah altogether.

Don't give up on Sabah there are some other great destinations, have a look at Lankayan.
The other option is a liveaboard, they seem to be able to guarantee permits.

Ok, so it has been 2 months since I was in Mabul and started this thread. Has anything changed? We respectfully requested just a portion of our dive monies back from SMART for falsly promising Sipidan and not apprasing us or our tour operator of the newly enforced permit situation, and were flatly denied any refund. Has anyone gotten a recent pic of the permit board on Sipidan? Please post one if you have it. I agree, there are far easier places to dive with NO FRIGGIN PERMIT problems in the area. Tis a shame but a reality. Thank you all for the great imput on this thread. It is thru you all that the truth will prevail!
Thanks and Happy Holidays
Susie

I will be going to Malaysia with my LDS in April & really looking forward to it, since my only previous ocean diving experience has only been in the Bahamas. This has been a very informative thread. Lots of good, useful information here. Thanks to everyone!:cool2:

there are far easier places to dive with NO FRIGGIN PERMIT problems in the area. Tis a shame but a reality. T
Susie

Are you serious? You're sounding more like SpoiledSusie than ScubaSusie.

The permit requirement is there to protect the reefs and ocean life. If that means that divers are second fiddle, so be it.

If you want to whine and complain about SMART, fine. Yes, there is definitely an opportunity for improving how they distribute the permits.

However, for you to complain about permits and permit problems in general is just childish and spoiled. Your attitude is representative of one of the many reasons that sea life and reefs are dying. The permit system is there to protect the reef. How each resort or dive shop handles the distribution of their allotted permits is up to each resort/dive shop. But the permit requirement in general, is not necessarily a bad thing. And definitely does not deserve your whining and complaining (which you have done on other websites even outside of Scubaboard)

Grow up Susie. I hope one day you will learn to appreciate the ocean more, and actually have a desire to protect it instead of destroy it.

Back
Top Bottom