Sipadan: Borneo Divers, SMART or Scuba Junkie....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose from the thread you will realize I lean towards SMART for a variety of reasons.
But the land based bungalow is definitely what you are looking for from your description.
Looking at your group size and experience, it looks like you have a good experience group of divers.
If you want to see what the resort looks like, go to my photos in my Facebook account, Kaizan Chooi Tan.
If you need more details or info, write to me chooitan@gmail.com

Here's the question, is there a middle ground between a backpacker place and lilies on our beds.

Mabul, for such a small island, does cover the entire spectrum of budgets - from ultra cheap (Uncle Changs), to backpacker (SJ) to middle of the road... right up to 5*+ luxury.

In addition to Quero's suggestions, you may also want to consider Seaventures - but do research the dives sites. They have an awesome reef (under the rig) but the depth limits the duration and volume of dives you can do there. The sites actually on Mabul island open up a wider spectrum of shore dives... especially long/shallow ones and night dives.

Personally, having spent a few months there, diving daily, I got bored of Sipidan (the same awesomeness every day)... but never did get bored of the Mabul shore dives... which never failed to deliver something different.... especially for a snap-happy macro fiend like myself. There were plenty of times when I'd be running 4-5 dives a day at work, but still skip my lunch break to jump in with my camera for an hour of solitary critter sniffing.

DevonDiver, you posted a long discussion about the Philippines and the reasons people travel there, including sex. I was talking about it to our shop owner when a resort operator called about this trip we're researching. He actually said that if any of the single male travelers wanted "companionship", he could arrange it. I was appalled and, obviously, we won't be going there. My shop owner was slightly skeptical while I relayed what you were saying and, literally, 10 minutes later we got the call. Unbelievable.

It's a sad state of affairs, but like all things, it can be easily avoided if you aren't looking for it. There's always a percentage of visitors to the Philippines who's primary goal is 'companionship', with diving as an after-thought. That said, even within the same resort, you could spend a fortnight here and still be clueless about what was going on. Except maybe the occasional skepticism about the 70 year old retiree who you see enjoying a peaceful lunch with his 18 year old girlfriend....

The main issue here in the Phils is that the tourism industry is tiny. A few serious divers, a few family visits by people who are married to Filipinos...and a bunch of sex tourists. As the industry grows (which hopefully it will), the sex tourists would be greatly diluted amongst a wider visitor demographic. I think that Thailand has a far bigger sex tourism/tourist problem... but those issues are generally buried amid the vast majority of families, backpackers etc that visit.

On the positive side... such things are invisible unless you care to pursue them.... and the minuscule tourism industry here virtually guarantees small, personal boats, empty dive sites and a lack of 'sausage factory' vibe. As you mention.... some resort just take that 'personalized' dedication to 'customer service' slightly to far. LOL

Back
Top Bottom