Sipadan better than Moalboal, Malapascua and Apo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ashantiashanti

Contributor
Reaction score
Heya guys,

I would just like to hear your recommendations.
Due to the unexpected high visa extension prices in the Philippines (yes, we should have done our research beforehand,) we will leave the country a week before planned,and are not sure if we should go directly to Hongkong for some big city life or pass by Sipadan on the way.

We will be doing a week in Apo, about 12 days in Malapascua and then around 4-5 days in Moalboal. I expect that we will have completed around 12-15 dives. So as far as the amount of diving, we will have done a lot according to our own needs.

However, is Sipadan so amazing that, since we can get there on the way to Hong Kong, we should do some diving there? Or will it not be that much better/different from what we will have already been done with in the Philippines?

Thanks a lot for the advice,
Cheers

Of the three you mentioned, I have only dived Malapascua. The threshers are very special, but that aside, I much preferred Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai. The macro at Mabul and Kapalai is way better than in Malapascua, and the wall dives at Sipadan are pretty cool too.

If you do head to Sipadan, book early and arrange for the necessary permits to dive Sipadan itself...

Yup.. get to work booking Sipadan as permits book up early.

As I said in the PI forum Sipadan is excellent.

Having just been to both Malapascua, Apo Island AND Sipidan - I would say it depends on what you want.

Unfortunately at Malapascua we didn't see the thresher sharks, but everyone else I met did see them on other days. But it's a chilled-out island and I highly recommend a trip in Kalangamman Island if available.

I think the diving in the Philippines is very seasonal as the vis wasn't great when we were there (Jan this year) - but that being said the macro life is pretty awesome! Dauin in Dumaguete is definitely worth a trip - seahorses and ghost pipe fish seemingly appearing from nowhere.

Sipidan is something else - we saw 2 hammerheads, devil rays on our first dive. There were about 30-40 white tip reef and grey reef sharks on every dive. It's more about the big stuff there, whereas at Kapalai/Mabul there are many great macro opportunities.

If you can afford it - do both.....a very different experience, and you won't regret it!

Can recommend dive shops in most locations if you need any help!

Hi,

I have been to Malapascua (I got my Open water Licence there) but I didn't really find the thresher sharks so special. They would not get close to the divers, and I only got to see them for 2 minutes at the most.

Malapascua is really good for soft coral diving, however. They have really spectacular purple and pink soft coral covering a large rock in the middle of the ocean.

I have also been to Sipadan. Sipadan is really amazing, and I think you should stop over to Sipadan for some diving there. They have large fish and really good 30 meter visibility, and you cannot get that anywhere in the Philippines except maybe for Tubbataha.

Down Under Scuba - Scuba Dive bookings in Malaysia
Cheap Scuba Diving. Luxury Scuba diving. Sort by Location and Price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom