Sipadan Air Quality -- Sumatra Fires

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

graved

New
Reaction score
I've heard and seen that there was a serious amount of smoke / haze that had made its way to Malaysia, etc. Anyone just come from Sipadan in the last few days or heard anything about it?

Also, I read in a couple other threads here that the military was on or about the islands there. Is this still the case?

I'll be arriving for 2 weeks on Mabul (?) starting 5-Sep and would hate to show up short a gas mask. Can't wait!!

Any idea what the viz is meant to be like now? I've hear from 15m to 100m.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
regards,
David

graved:
I've heard and seen that there was a serious amount of smoke / haze that had made its way to Malaysia, etc. Anyone just come from Sipadan in the last few days or heard anything about it?

Also, I read in a couple other threads here that the military was on or about the islands there. Is this still the case?

I'll be arriving for 2 weeks on Mabul (?) starting 5-Sep and would hate to show up short a gas mask. Can't wait!!

regards,
David

The smoke/haze was pretty bad a couple of weeks ago, but it lasted only a few days and was only confined to west coast of Pennisular Malaysia, mainly around Kuala Lumpur area. This was dued to the forest fire in Sumatra and the smoke brought here by the prevailing wind. Now everything has cleared up so I don't think there is a problem of smoke/haze at this moment, especially that far out at Sipadan.

I was there at Sipadan last month and the viz was only around 10 to 15 m but the diving still very good (my first time there). And yes, there is military present every where on the island if safety is your concern.

The diving is great. I have no doubt you will enjoy it. In fact, I can't wait to get back there again myself :). Have fun.

graved:

regards,
David

As YCW posted the haze was due to forest fire in sumatra which is north of Sipadan. the current monsoon is blowing from SW to NE and therefore Sipadan will not be affected. Even when ther are forest fires in Kalimentan which is further south, sipadan will not get the haze due to direction of the wind.

There is a thread on security in this forum with reports on recent visits.

I was out in Sipadan in June and on one dive I was away from the wall ( in the blue); perhaps in excess of 100meters, I could clearly see the other divers near the wall.

do get out there and you will have a great time.

The haze is totally gone now. It's raining everyday esp in KL. One shouldn't worry so much about the haze esp in areas far away from the island of Sumatera.

I know what you mean Graved. I see the Hurricane Katrina is about to slam into New Orleans and I feem sorry for the folk down there. I also hope my friends in Pheonix are okay too.

malaysia-islands:
The haze is totally gone now. It's raining everyday esp in KL. One shouldn't worry so much about the haze esp in areas far away from the island of Sumatera.

hi malaysia-islands
do you know what the weather is like in Sipadan mid-september?
is there a lot of rain?
thanks

ju

scubaju:
hi malaysia-islands
do you know what the weather is like in Sipadan mid-september?
is there a lot of rain?
thanks

ju
Ju,
According to most people, Sipadan can be dived all year round. If it is raining, then it's just that one day it happens. Meaning to say there is no particular "monsoon" season like the East Coast of Malaysia (Redang, Perhentian, etc).

Nonetheless, the so-called peak season is from April-July, which I think more of a Western summer holiday period, hence a lot of tourists doing the travels during summer months.

My two visits were in Jan 2005 and June 2003. In both visits, the weather was perfect.

Came back from Sipadan and Mabul on 21st August.

As written above smoke disappeared already in KL on 14th. Other reagion do not know.

Sipadan is just one of the greatest place I ever being. Visibility was not 100 m but good.
At Mabul was not good at all. Very disappointed in term of visibility but not in term of small critter. I did the live aboard with the Celebes explorer and dive in Mabul only for the night dive.

I will soon enough post a trip report with some pictures.

You will love it!!! Do not worry about anything. Just expect to see School of barracudas, kacks, giant trevally, many kind of sharks, and plenty of other things…

Azotomix:
You will love it!!! Do not worry about anything. Just expect to see School of barracudas, kacks, giant trevally, many kind of sharks, and plenty of other things…

Azotomix, good to hear that the barracuda are back. Out of curiosity, are they back in large numbers or is it still just the small schools?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom