Sinus problem and unconsciousness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thos

Reaction score
My buddy recently experienced an unusual and serious problem, and we'd like an expert's opinion.

She is a 42 year old diver in excellent condition. She had a complete medical physical about 2 months ago and no problems were found. She runs about 3 miles, 5 times a week. She has mild asthma which does not require any drug treatment.
We were on vacation and had made 7 reef dives over 9 days, all less than 80 feet, without incident. After the the 7th dive, she complained of a very runny nose and moderate sinus pressure. Both went away after perhaps an hour.

The next morning we made a shore dive to around 75 feet. At 1500 psi we worked back up the reef to a depth of 30, made a normal ascent to 15, and did a 3 minute safety stop. We surfaced to check our position. My buddy told me that she was experiencing the running nose and mild sinus pressure again, so we decided to return to shore. Owing to surface wave activity, we descended to around 20 and headed back.

About 3 minutes into our swim, at around 15 feet, I gave her the OK sign and she returned it, but she appeared to be sluggish. A minute later, at 12 feet, we exchanged OK signs again, but she appeared to be very sluggish. 10 seconds later I looked over and she was motionless in the water. She was breathing but unresponsive. I immediately brought her to the surface, inflated the BC, put her on her back, and began towing her to shore. She was still breathing slowly, her eyes were partially closed, but she did not respond to my voice. About 30 seconds later she started moving her legs slightly. It took another minute or two to get to 4 feet of water where I could stand. By this time she was awake, but a little groggy, and asked to stand up. After standing for a minute or so, she said she was OK, and we walked to shore without further incident.

On shore, she was experiencing heavy frontal sinus pressure, reduced hearing in one ear, and a running nose, but no pain. The grogginess went away after about 10 minutes. She refused to see a doctor, but did take decongestants, which helped. It took a day for her hearing to return to normal and for the sinus pressure to disappear. None of her symptoms resembled those of asthma. We were both breathing air from the same dive operator for the entire trip.

The sinus and ear symptoms seem like a straightforward case of reverse block due to sinus infection or allergy. But the unresponsiveness / unconsciousness is a mystery, and deeply concerning. Can anyone explain a connection?

You've done a good thing, posting your question here. Several great medical professionals monitor this forum and I'm sure you will soon get some useful responses.

In the meantime, I'll state the obvious and suggest that you also contact DAN at 1-800-446-2671, if you haven't already.

Hi thos,

This is a bit of poser, but appears to raise the possibility of an oxygen starvation/hypoxic event of some type.

Is it possible that as a result of her distraction with heavy frontal sinus pressure, reduced hearing in one ear and a running nose she held/restricted her breathing for an extended period?

Also, are you absolutely sure an asthmatic event didn’t occur?

Interestingly, her LOC appears to have occurred at around 10-15 feet, which is prime territory as the expected lung expansion secondary to Boyle's Law can draw additional oxygen from circulating blood that is already low on 02 due to breath holding or improper or obstructed breathing.

The hypothesis that "The sinus and ear symptoms seem like a straightforward case of reverse block due to sinus infection or allergy" is not compelling as the description stands. You indicate that she denied any pain and I can assure you that bona fide reverse block/squeeze of the sinuses or ears is nearly always, and sometimes agonizingly, painful.

Whatever the cause of this seemingly odd event, it indeed is a “and deeply concerning” one.

A full physical exam, including a work up of the asthma and the sinuses, preferably overseen by a doctor(s) with some diving medicine knowledge, would be prudent.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Hi thos,

This is a bit of poser, but appears to raise the possibility of an oxygen starvation/hypoxic event of some type.

Is it possible that as a result of her distraction with heavy frontal sinus pressure, reduced hearing in one ear and a running nose she held/restricted her breathing for an extended period?

Also, are you absolutely sure an asthmatic event didn’t occur?

Interestingly, her LOC appears to have occurred at around 10-15 feet, which is prime territory as the expected lung expansion secondary to Boyle's Law can draw additional oxygen from circulating blood that is already low on 02 due to breath holding or improper or obstructed breathing.

The hypothesis that "The sinus and ear symptoms seem like a straightforward case of reverse block due to sinus infection or allergy" is not compelling as the description stands. You indicate that she denied any pain and I can assure you that bona fide reverse block/squeeze of the sinuses or ears is nearly always, and sometimes agonizingly, painful.

Whatever the cause of this seemingly odd event, it indeed is a “and deeply concerning” one.

A full physical exam, including a work up of the asthma and the sinuses, preferably overseen by a doctor(s) with some diving medicine knowledge, would be prudent.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.
I have never heard of anything like this on Open circuit. But the Docviking idea of the o2 pp effect changing her at around 10 to 15 feet has me thinking of something this could be related to.....Please pardon what will seem like a tangant....
My wife Sandra is a former State Road race champion cyclist--she is fast, but she does suffer from alergies and she used to have Sports Asthma which could be triggered by some weather and pollen or mold, and a fast bike ride.
The tie in I refer to......If Sandra is getting a major allergy issue on a day of a fast ride, the allergic response is causing inflamation beyond just her sinus. Her ability to generate the power ( which you could measure in watts) which she needed to stay in a pack going 34 mph is gone....she begins to generate lactic acid immediately at the high pace ( which she would not normally experience) and her muscles work "anaerobically" for a few minutes... and then she will have to drop off the ride.. she would "blow up".....

On normal ( most) days, oxygen gets circulated well throughout her body...her vascular system is well dilated, cyclists refer to this as getting warmed up, or having your legs "turn on"--it allows maximum circulation of oxygen.... An elite cyclist, in addition to requiring a very powerful heart, needs the vascular system to flow effectively--and I am thinking that a strong allergic reaction, shuts down the VO2 Max potential so extremely, that only a fraction of the normal aerobic power is left. This is not necessarily an asthma event, it can easily be on a day when no asthma occurs, just bad allergy..sinus pain, runny noise, itchy eyes, etc. I assume the inflamation is impeding blood flow in the major muscle groups, maybe even raising blood pressure ??
It gets "harder" for the zone 4 or higher race pace heart rates to occur--we explain this as less aerobic glycogen available...also much less aerobic capacity than usual.

Allergy shots over 4 years have drastically minimized the severity of these anaerobic event days as a reasult of pollens or mold index...but Sandra, and many other cyclists, loose the oxygen carrying capacity they are used to, when having a major allergy day.
With this girl the OP mentioned, if the inflamation was similar to what Sandra used to get, and the girl was still having this event taking place while on the scuba tank ( since this is not enough time on the filtered air to remove the symptoms and effects of the allergic incident) , then she could have essentially worked as hard as she was comfortable able to on the dive, and in cycling speak, was "beginning to blow up", or go anaerobic...which could be alot more like hypoxia if she then headed from deeper water to 10 feet....the oxygen in her blood may suddenly have been insufficient, just as on a bike ride or run--but with the huge difference that when she stopped her workload, blood oxygen levels went even lower still, do to the shalower water..
Imagine riding a bike at 34 mph till you are seeing spots, are totally anaerobic, and then you stop pedalling so that you can recover--but suddenly there is half the oxygen you were breathing before--like you were at the peak of Vail mountain or similar...this could cause a blackout in a fit cyclist or runner...and the equivalent could occur underwater...
Anyway, just an idea for the Doctors :)

She refused to see a doctor...
@thos: Why?

I think the scary incident, which could have had a poor outcome if you hadn't been vigilant in monitoring your buddy, certainly warrants medical investigation.
There are a number of conditions that can cause an altered level of consciousness in the scenario you describe. Many of them might not be identified during a cursory medical physical 2 months prior. For instance, I would be surprised if her check-up included a cardiac stress test. It's also possible that, in that 2 months time, some new clinical issue manifested.

Probably the best advice we can give you is to encourage your dive buddy to call DAN (Divers Alert Network), get hooked up with a dive-savvy physician, and have that doctor take a complete history, do a physical exam, and order a battery of diagnostic tests to rule out any insidious, serious medical conditions.

Let us know how everything turns out...

Thos,
First, my compliments on the thorough diving history and especially for a very well-executed rescue. Your buddy has you to thank for her life.

I would echo DocVikingo and BubbleTrubble's advice and strongly recommend that your dive buddy see a physician for a complete workup, including an EKG and possibly a head CT. There are a lot of reasons somebody could lose consciousness, and most of them aren't diving-related. Sudden cardiac arrhythmia is one - Bubbletrubble touched on cardiac issues. Unexplained unconsciousness is definitely worrisome, and had you not been there and been very on-the-ball she likely would not be alive. A repeat incident could be catastrophic.

I think that arterial gas embolism is highly unlikely considering the progression of her level of consciousness. If she suffered an AGE when you did your "peek" that didn't manifest itself until after you submerged, the symptoms would almost certainly have worsened when you surfaced again. Also, she probably would not have spontaneously recovered that quickly and she likely would have had more neurological symptoms.

If her episode was diving-related, CO2 buildup from improper breathing would be my first guess. Like DocV said, she may have been distracted by her sinus issues.

I would once again implore your dive buddy to take this very seriously. She's probably in denial, especially if she's as healthy as she seems from your description.

Best regards,
DDM

Another possibility is immersion pulmonary edema with hypoxia, although in general, if it's severe enough to cause unconsciousness, it will continue to be symptomatic on land as well.

I agree with the recommendation to get a thorough cardiopulmonary evaluation by a diving-savvy physician.

Another possibility is immersion pulmonary edema with hypoxia, although in general, if it's severe enough to cause unconsciousness, it will continue to be symptomatic on land as well.

Agreed--a case of IPE severe enough to result in LOC almost certainly would include hemoptysis, grunting/gurgling sounds with breathing and SOB, all continuing on land. This is to leave aside the possible longer term sequelae of an event of severely edematous lungs.

Regards,

Doc

Last edited:
Second DDM's comments on a well done history and heads-up rescue.

What got my attention was the elapsed time of the entire event seeming to be not more than 10min, there was a decline ("sluggish") before complete loss of activity, then during the event she was "still breathing slowly", and her recovery was apparently rapid. This makes me think of a fainting episode if only because it doesn't seem typical of other events that come immediately to mind. The duration and presentation don't appear to be like a seizure or stroke event. The slow breathing pattern is not what I'd expect from someone compensating for CO2 buildup (no mention of deep or gasping breath. Also, this breath pattern and recovery w/out intervention is not usual of a hypoglycemic event. Finally, she apparently is an above-average athlete and IIRC, incidents of post-exercise fainting are not terribly unusual in this population. IIRC, a few years ago, a report suggested a relationship between such fainting and overactive histamine receptors (the runny nose, asthmatic).

Regardless, she certainly should get a cardiovascular evaluation and possibly a head CT.

I'd like to thank all of you for your terrific insights and advice. It is indeed a very confusing incident. To respond to a few of the questions. No, she did not exhibit any classic asthma symptoms: no wheezing, shortness of breath, labored breathing, etc. The entire event was short, 10 minutes at most. She was able to walk out under her own power (which surprised me greatly at the time), and the grogginess did completely dissipate quickly. I'm inclined to agree with those who suggested that she may have altered her breathing pattern because of the pain and pressure. I have successfully persuaded her to work with DAN and a local doctor to get a complete workup.
We were both extremely fortunate that this happened in 12 feet of water within a short swim of the shore. It scares the hell out of me to imagine the outcome, had it happened at depth out on the reef, where the surface activity was quite strong that day.

Again, many thanks to all of you.

thos

Back
Top Bottom