Single vs. double tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lighter tanks are already on the market. The problem is that they are too light and require quite a bit of ballast for the diver to get underwater. 64 pounds per cubic foot is inescapable.

The only way I see we are going to get substantial weight reductions is to get the remaining bugs worked out of rebreathers. I expect that to take much less than 50 years, probably more like 10.

The word I get from DEMA is that backplates are now all the rage. That would appear to be a regurgitation of the backpacks that have been around for years.

I don't know of any steel tanks that don't have the extra 10% already included in the capacity, so I suspect those 72s filled to 110% would actually hold about 72scft.

On the subject of small doubles, I recently doubled up some HP80's which make a nice compact set. Why HP80's?... well those were the tanks I had. I know there is an issue about getting a complete fill, but that hasn't been a problem with my LDS. I use a 45 lb wing which is no problem with an aluminum bp.

I did see a set of double 45's at the LDS which I thought were just too cool.

Oh, and I just got back from Scotland about a month ago and it seemed to me that doubles over there were much more common than here. I think the most popular are double 7's or 10's. I THINK those are equivalent to 72s and 80s... I think.

Tony

kramynot2000 once bubbled...

I did see a set of double 45's at the LDS which I thought were just too cool.

Would that happen to be MBDC by any chance. They had a neat set of double 45's that i had to give a good lookin over. I very carefully put them back when i was told the price though :D

roakey once bubbled...
Let's do the math with my 104 setup. I'm diving dry, in fresh water, and all my weight is in the backplate/cylinder combination. Backplate: -6 pounds. Full 104s: about -15 each in fresh water or -30 total. Manifold, call it -2. 6+30+2 = 38 pounds.

Though not a huge margin, the 45 is just fine...

Ok, already coverd the equipment floating on it's own. Higher out of the water? You're calling for almost DOUBLE the lift required? Are we talking about floating ourselves higher out of the water, or if diving trimix are we talking becoming a dirigible and flying back to shore?

Note the requirement for lift is DECREASED with 72s versus 104s, by, taking a SWAG, about 5 pounds, even if all your weight is on the BP. This should make the 45 pound lift wing have plenty of extra for floating you higher in the water without going overboard.

So, if a 45 pound lift wing can float a dual 72 kit with room to spare, it can just as easily float you in a flooded drysuit as well, don't you agree? (and if not, why not?)

An average human head weighs 15 lbs (above water - where most divers want it when on the surface.). So by your own calculations and with no lift coming from a flooded drysuit, 45 lbs of lift is no longer fine and you are breathing through a snorkel at the surface.

From experience, with a flooded dry suit and 45 lbs of lift with a pair of full steel 72's your chin will almost but not quite be out of the water, you will be breathing either the snorkle or a reg and you will be dumping your weights to get yourself farther above the waves lapping you in the face.

Even with an intact dry suit, if you add the weight of your neck, the tops of your shoulders, a inch or two of your chest, the regs (which you left out of your calculations), valves or manifold, and the tops of the tanks then yes, you will find you do in fact need the extra 30 lbs of lift to get you significantly farther out of the water.

It probably is not a concern in a spring, but even when nothing goes wrong in open water with wind, waves, etc. getting comfortably above water is not only nice but at times essential if you are having to wait on the surface for the rest of the divers to enter the water. I have seen a lot of under lifted divers winded from a short stay on a rough surface before they ever got under water, and it is not great to have to recover from the entry when you need to be focused on the start of the dive.

I will agree that 45 lbs is minimally adequate with twin 72's under ideal conditions as I dove with doubles and a 45 lb wing in the mid-eighties. But I also always dove a 7mm wetsuit at the time, so I could always count on a substantial portion of lift coming from it at the surface.

Calculation aside, actually doing it is far more instructive. I chose to go with a wing with more lift as it offerred more support on the surface and had very little downside when under the water. A picture is worth a thousand words and I wish I had a picture of the same diver at the surface with 45 lbs of lift and with 75 lbs of lift just to show the difference.

And as for the "I didn't have my moderator hat on" excuse, I was taught to lead by example and the leading didn't stop just because I was off duty. I think the same should apply here.

If not then everyone would be free to say "Eat me" when ever someone made them mad and would then not have to worry about being disciplined for it because guess what , they just didn't have their freindly polite and courteous forum visitor hat on at the time. It's hard to fault someone else for being rude when you set the example by being rude. In the end it costs you your credibility as a moderator.

last night on Jerry McGuire that little insect with the spiked hair and glasses said the human head weighs 8 pounds...

k

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
From experience, with a flooded dry suit and 45 lbs of lift with a pair of full steel 72's your chin will almost but not quite be out of the water, you will be breathing either the snorkle or a reg and you will be dumping your weights to get yourself farther above the waves lapping you in the face.

If you did in fact flood your drysuit, then ditching your weights at the surface is probably a good idea, if warranted by the sea conditions.

People are afraid to ditch their weights, even when they should. There should be no hesitancy.

Back to the original thread, 45 lbs seems like more than enough buoyancy, except in 2 cases:

1) tech instructor
2) heavy tool bag

DA Aquamaster once bubbled... An average human head weighs 15 lbs (above water - where most divers want it when on the surface.). So by your own calculations and with no lift coming from a flooded drysuit, 45 lbs of lift is no longer fine and you are breathing through a snorkel at the surface.

If I have a flooded drysuit, I'm getting back on the boat and since I don't have a backup drysuit, using up backgas isn't an issue for me.
DA Aquamaster once bubbled... Even with an intact dry suit, if you add the weight of your neck, the tops of your shoulders, a inch or two of your chest, the regs (which you left out of your calculations), valves or manifold, and the tops of the tanks then yes, you will find you do in fact need the extra 30 lbs of lift to get you significantly farther out of the water.
If my drysuit is intact, I either get underwater to start the dive or put a little more gas in the drysuit to get a little more lift while I'm waiting to get on the boat.

As requested:

Do small twins have a place in NDL diving (ie. Steel 72's)?
Do wings with less than 45 lbs of lift ever seem like a good idea for twins...what do you need to consider when calculating wing/BC lift.

But...it seems to have worked it's way out anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom