Single Tank and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingbuddy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I hope to take a fundies class next year, but I had a question about diving with a single tank...

Do you use one first stage on a standard tank valve (with the 7 foot primary and 24" bungeed back up) or do you use an H-valve with 2 first stages and 2 separate second stages (like when diving doubles)?

I read JJ's book, but still wasn't sure. I appreciate any help with this question. Cheers!

That's what I figured. Thanks for the timely response. I look forward to the course and new challenges and opportunities for my diving. Cheers!

The book does indeed mention Y and H valves. But one first stage is perfectly acceptable for fundies, i suppose a Y valve would be easier for people who have their regs set up for doubles though. Never seen any available for hire though...

I've never heard of anyone taking the class with an H-valve, but other than extreme cold water diving, I don't really see the point. I'm not sure if they would allow that in the Fundies course.

Tom

No h-valves, or only single outlet valves? Is it about the 'H' or is it about the dual outlet?

Also just in general, will they just not let you take the Fundamentals course if your gear does not match theirs? What I mean is can you take it with the 'wrong' gear just for the water skills and experience?

No h-valves, or only single outlet valves? Is it about the 'H' or is it about the dual outlet?

Also just in general, will they just not let you take the Fundamentals course if your gear does not match theirs? What I mean is can you take it with the 'wrong' gear just for the water skills and experience?

The instructor in my area requires BP/W, long hose and non-split fins. I'm not sure if these reqiurements are for all Fundies courses or just his.

I just looked it up, and the H valves/Y valves are acceptable for the Recreational classes.

GUE Fundamentals | Global Underwater Explorers

The Backplate is required for the GUE Fundamentals class. Equipment is a fairly big part of the DIR approach, so you do need to have your gear inline with the recommendations to take the class.

If you want to gain the skills from the class without the gear requirements, a lot of GUE instructors also instruct for other agencies. You can gain a lot of the same skills from these instructors even in a PADI class.

Tom

I have the BP/W with continuous harness, stiff fins, long hose set up when I dive doubles. Since I am taking the course, I want to embrace and adopt the recommended team approach to consistency with regards to equipment.

Since I don't have H-valves now on my single tanks (and didn't really want them), I figured I would ask before the course started to make sure (as far as I can determine) that my equipment is adequate.

I appreciate the responses to my query. Cheers!

The Beuchat Y valve is ok although basically unnecessary.

An H valve is not a good idea (the book is a little outdated on this) basically because it has more failure points than a single valve / reg (and more than the Y) without offering much in the way of useful redundancy. And the side valve is potentially hard to manipulate - they can end up all kooky.

A normal 200 bar DIN valve with a rubber handwheel is perfect for single tank dives. No need to complicate anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom