Single manufactured video camera housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I made this housing for my Sony Handycam.

DSCF0013.JPG

DSCF0014.JPG

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0016.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

A video housing that can block alpha particles, beta particles, and most gamma rays. I'm impressed.
I have no clue what a alpha, beta, or gamma is so I will take your word for it. If my housing can do all of this it must just be an added bonus because I never figured this into the fabrication process. Thanks for the heads up.

Very Kewl!!!

That is the first metal housing I have seen. Nice work!

How's the bouyency?

Welding AL is a handy skill to have.

The rough surface finish, from the pictures, makes it look like you might have trouble getting reliable seal with the oring. How deep has it been?

I just kind of whipped this together for a trip I took to Bimini last summer. This was my second attempt at a housing. My first housing was big and weighed 12 lbs with the camera. This one is only a few lbs and packs much better. The rough finish is from sand blasting it, I didn't have time to get it powder coated before my trip. It is slightly positive bouyant and really easy to handle under water. I don't really need to look through the view finder as the weld on the top makes for a great sight. The O-ring held up at 60' but I may replace it with a gasket before going deeper. It needs some tweaking.
I was recently studying up on radioactivity and found that I suck at science. I suppose that is why I work as a fabricator in a factory and not a scientist in a labratory.:D
Thanks for checking out my housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom