Singapore in June with 3-4 extra days - where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mountainsean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a work trip taking me to Singapore in June. I should have time to stay an extra 3-4 days and would like to maximize diving goodness (quality + quantity - hassle). In other words, what's easy to get to from Singapore with the biggest bang for the buck from a time/travel perspective? Ideally somewhere with a direct flight and minimal ground travel, 2 nights or so in either a dive resort or a liveaboard, and 2+ days of awesome diving. Best I've come up with so far is the weekend liveaboard to Tioman, but sounds like maybe the diving isn't that much better/different than a typical Caribbean destination (i.e. not bad, just not amazing). I've heard such great things about the diving in S.E.A. that I'd really like to experience one of the better sites if possible. Budget isn't a huge concern, mostly just time. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean

Tioman is one of the easiest from Singapore for sure with decent diving. but you could fly to bali (or presumable anywhere in south east Asia) and have some incredible diving at low cost just you lose that one day of no fly time

Tioman is one of the easiest from Singapore for sure with decent diving. but you could fly to bali (or presumable anywhere in south east Asia) and have some incredible diving at low cost just you lose that one day of no fly time

Makes sense, thanks, so what I'm basically looking for is the best diving with the least amount of hassle with the flight and subsequent ground travel to the actual dive destination.

-Sean

Hi Sean, many local liveaboards leave Singapore on two and three day holiday weekend trips. Most leave on Friday late afternoon from the ferry terminal and return early evening on Sunday. The dive destinations vary and change for many weekend trips. I would try to book a trip during your open weekend - it's easy and trouble free. Most liveaboards provide rental gear, unless you want to bring you own kit. Have fun!

Best plus least hassle= bali

but I hate long boat rides so a liveaboard is like my definition of hell ha

Bali, or Manado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manado is only a 4 hour flight away, dive Bunaken there with Nitrox to maximise dives and do shallow dives on the last day with the flight back to Singapore at around 2pm you can still get a couple of days decent diving.

Fri - SIN-MDC arr 1305 - diving that afternoon, if on a resort with a house reef you should be good for at least two dives plus night dives
Sat - Diving Bunaken Island, perhaps 3 dives
Sun - Diving with 40% Nitrox you could get a couple of decent 24M dives in the morning and finish before 14:00
Mon - Flight back to Singapore 13:50

I agree with Searcaigh.

Going to Manado to Bunaken is really good. The coral reefs on the wall of Bunaken is really healthy, and probably the most beautiful Wall Dive that's near Singapore.

If you are going with Two Fish Divers (I dived with them) make sure that they help pick you up from the airport. I booked with them, but they did not pick me up, and I was lost in a local taxi.

Down Under Scuba - Scuba Dive bookings in Malaysia
Cheap Scuba Diving. Luxury Scuba diving. Sort by Location and Price.

---------- Post added May 17th, 2015 at 06:37 PM ----------

I agree with Searcaigh.

Going to Manado to Bunaken is really good. The coral reefs on the wall of Bunaken is really healthy, and probably the most beautiful Wall Dive that's near Singapore.

If you are going with Two Fish Divers (I dived with them) make sure that they help pick you up from the airport. I booked with them, but they did not pick me up, and I was lost in a local taxi. I couldn't reach their telephone number because my phone died.

I do recommend Two Fish in General though (the divemasters are very attentive), although they are a bit expensive.

Down Under Scuba - Scuba Dive bookings in Malaysia
Cheap Scuba Diving. Luxury Scuba diving. Sort by Location and Price.

Thanks again folks - after lots of research, I think Manado is probably my best bet, following basically the itinerary suggested by Searcaigh. Any suggestions on where to dive/stay? I'd prefer to go with a single place that can handle all the diving, accommodations, food, and transit to/from the airport, and allow for 3-5 dives/day.

Thanks,
Sean

Basically, there isn't much diving in Singapore. Most Singaporeans travel to Malaysia or Indonesia.

Malaysia, tioman is the nearest. But u can opt to go further North to Redang or Perhentian. All are good and have nice corals.

At redang, if u're more towards noisy and happening environment, u can choose the resorts at Long beach. If u want something more relax and quiet, u can go for Redang Kalong. It's isolated and quiet with good quality DM.

Back
Top Bottom