Simple, Flexible Solo Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Today I completed the last dive of my Deep Diver Speciality class. In previous dives, I used an independent twin set with one SPG and reg per tank. I learned to breathe both tanks down evenly so in the event of equipment failure I would have enough gas to ascend. This was shop gear, I have a standard rec setup.

Today the instructor decided to minimise the task loading for my last dive by having me dive using my own gear. I have a Zeagle Stilleto and Zeagle regs; two secondaries. The instructor wore a twin set and carried a 80 cf stage bottle as backup for me. He claimed the stage tank was barely noticable in the water.

I own all of my own gear including two 80 cf tanks. I don't plan on diving deep or solo often and don't want to spend the money to reconfigure my setup for these types of dives. I am considering buying an extra set of regs with SPG and using my second tank as a stage/de facto twin set when diving solo.

I plan to use the setup the way I was taught to use independent twins and breathe both tanks down evenly. Both tanks are the same size and I would not let either tank get below the volume of gas needed to make a safe ascent.

Have I overlooked anything, or is this a sensible rig for the applications I have in mind?

An 80cf stage hung on you is going to be noticeable, anyone that thinks different is kidding themselves. N

Nemrod:
An 80cf stage hung on you is going to be noticeable, anyone that thinks different is kidding themselves. N

I agree with Nemrod. An 80cf tank is cumbersome. Personally, I prefer to dive doubles with an isolation manifold, but if you insist on carrying a bottle, I would make it a 40cf, using it for emergency only. A 40 is barely noticable, would have ample gas for an emergency and if you decided to get into staged decompression later on, you have an ideal deco bottle.

Independent doubles are great. Just don't pay attention to the people who will laugh at you. They just don't know any better.

I like a 121 steel with a 72 steel stage for deep dives. I know I have plenty of gas for a emergency or deco stop. I'll probally get into doubles in the next year as my budget lets me but for now it works out fine

Toolbox-13:
I like a 121 steel with a 72 steel stage for deep dives. I know I have plenty of gas for a emergency or deco stop. I'll probally get into doubles in the next year as my budget lets me but for now it works out fine

Do you find the 72 stage cumbersome when you dive? How do you manage gas consumption with two different size tanks? Do you pull twice the PSI from the 121 or use another system?

FishDiver:
Do you find the 72 stage cumbersome when you dive? How do you manage gas consumption with two different size tanks? Do you pull twice the PSI from the 121 or use another system?

The secondary (pony) tank should be breathed in emergencies only. Do not use it's gas in planning bottom times, only in calculating safe ascent depths. If you dive independent double, then I understand your statement about breathing them down (in 1/3's each) alternately. This is for trim issues as well as leaving you an emergency amount of gas. If this is your plan, you really don't need a pony. It's different if you are only diving a single tank though. This is where a pony bottle comes in.

Do a search here on SB for "pony", you will find a LOT of discussion on this topic.

Fd

FishDiver:
Today I completed the last dive of my Deep Diver Speciality class. In previous dives, I used an independent twin set with one SPG and reg per tank. I learned to breathe both tanks down evenly so in the event of equipment failure I would have enough gas to ascend. This was shop gear, I have a standard rec setup.

I'd like to have an independant doubles setup, can you tell me how the hoses were set up, in particular how the SPG hose for the right tank was routed and clipped off?

Thanks

I have used an 80 cu ft deco bottle and it's not bad, less cumbersome than 2 40s. The trick is to use a horseshoe shaped wing and the air will migrate to the heavier side. If you travel like I do, you can create independent doubles with simple stage strap hardware instead of dealing with bands, manifold.

TheRedHead:
I have used an 80 cu ft deco bottle and it's not bad, less cumbersome than 2 40s. The trick is to use a horseshoe shaped wing and the air will migrate to the heavier side. If you travel like I do, you can create independent doubles with simple stage strap hardware instead of dealing with bands, manifold.

I didn't think about using the idea when traveling. Its brilliant.

My BC has a U-shaped bladder, but the U is upside down. The air will tend to migrate AWAY from the heavier side. Maybe if I put all of the lead on the side opposite of the slung tank...:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom