Simple, Brass SPG's - where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an OMS...it is pretty simple and definitely brass...works ok too. Scubapro makes one I think...poke around with search, I asked the same question a while back...

I own the OMS guage, as well (got it from leisurepro). One thing to look out for is that it is gradiated in 1000's, and not 100's (which, I've been told, would make it non-DIR).

The OMS guage comes with a boot, btw, but it was too much of a pain for me to put on.

Jeff

The OMS guage comes with a boot, btw, but it was too much of a pain for me to put on

Good thing...that boot would also make it a bit non-DIR :D

I have used both the ScubaPro, and the OMS. Both were very nice. I currently have a DiveRite. I like the DiveRite, because it is a little larger and easier to see. The OMS is easy to read UW, but I just prefer the DiveRite. It has a rubber boot on it, but that is easily removed if you feel the need to do so.

DIR....Why aren't you supposed to have a boot on your SPG? Seems like that's what protects it.

A boot could cover up possible problems with the gauge, such as slow leaks.

Originally posted by JamesK
A boot could cover up possible problems with the gauge, such as slow leaks.

What kind of problems? A slow leak will bubble out of the boot, won't it?

The boot could have trapped air in it before the dive, and the air could leak out slowly at first. If you had a slow leak from the gauge when you entered the water, then you would simply think it was trapped air. Also, the boot could hold in air that is leaking slowly, and it might not start to escape from the boot until a little later in the dive.

This is how it was explained to me, I hope it makes sense.

Originally posted by Dee
DIR....Why aren't you supposed to have a boot on your SPG? Seems like that's what protects it.

DIR is about simplicity. There's no reason for the boot therefor there's no boot. If you whack/crush your SPG with enough force to bust a brass housing, a thin rubber boot isn't going to save it.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom