Simple Bio Fins question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaseh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know what the buoyancy of the Bio-Fins are?

I started to search but couldn't find a mention of it

Thanks.

Chaseh:
Does anyone know what the buoyancy of the Bio-Fins are?

I started to search but couldn't find a mention of it
Thanks.

Chaeeh: Apollo bio-fins are 100% natural rubber and are slightly negative in salt water.

Just for fun I did an experiment in my bathtub to determine the buoyancy of my size large yellow biofins :)

The answer is about 0.3 lbs negative buoyancy per fin in fresh water.

Since each fin weighs about 3lb, that equates to about 0.23 lbs per fin negative buoyancy in sea water.

ok, now you've got me curious, I was initially just wanting to make sure my trim wouldn't be outta whack, but how did you figure an exact measure?

I filled my bathtub and put the biofin in the water (and of course it sank).

Then I simply found some closed air filled containers (in this case some plastic old RX medicine containers). I just tried different sizes of container until I found one that only just caused the fin the float.

By measuring the dimensions of the container, the volume and hence weight of the water displaced can be calculated.

Hey, ok I admit I'm an engineer and that kind of question gets me interested :) My wife of course thought I was nuts, playing with fins in the bathtub....

This brings back memories of high school physics... LOL!

Weight fin outta water, plop fins into a solution of salt water in a tank nearly spilling over, measure weight of salt water spilled and subtract from weight outta water... I think LOL!

SangP

bradshsi:
I filled my bathtub and put the biofin in the water (and of course it sank).

Then I simply found some closed air filled containers (in this case some plastic old RX medicine containers). I just tried different sizes of container until I found one that only just caused the fin the float.

By measuring the dimensions of the container, the volume and hence weight of the water displaced can be calculated.

Hey, ok I admit I'm an engineer and that kind of question gets me interested :) My wife of course thought I was nuts, playing with fins in the bathtub....

Bradshsi: Great information. Thank you. Many divers have reported how they like having the bio-fins stay in the water, particularly when surface swimming. Now we have the hard data. With your permission, we will add your experiment to a FAQ section of our website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom