Similans or Koh Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isaleguen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the best place to go to and why? I am a serious diver. What is the best time of year to go there?

Diving is different not necessarily better...:wink: Depends on what your after.

However Gulf is in low season right now, and weather is traditionaly bad this time of year.

Im sure if you expand on what your looking for, others here will point you in the right direction.

When are you looking at coming? what diving do you enjoy? Pretty reefs ? dark wrecks? caves? etc etc.

Whatever you decide im sure you will enjoy Thailand diving.

The diving in the Similans is the best in Thailand but to really appreciate it a live aboard is a must. Koh Tao is a wonderful Island with a few very nice dive sites but is not on a par with the Similans. This board is filled with threads about which side, the West Coast or the Gulf is better. IMO if you take a live aboard to the Similans that's the best diving otherwise it's a toss up, depending on your personal preference. If you have the time, do both, that's what I do.

Hi
The Similan Islands offers the better diving. November to April are the best months to go there and as Mase says - the best way to see these sites is via a Liveaboard Cruise. To get the best out of these sites you would need at least 4 days up there. This way you would also go further north to Koh Bon, Ta Chai and Richelieu Rock. Also great sites!

Hope this helps.

Without question, in my mind the similans if you go the right time of year.

yes. to all the above. Only advice is make sure (if you can) the boat isn't filled with novice divers. Just got back from a 4 day trip up there and the scratched Richelieu Rock because they were worried that the others couldn't handle it. The Similans themselves are very nice, but for my money, it's all about Koh Tachai, and Richelieu.

Enjoy

By they way, I live in Tao, so I'm biased but honest. I've got a few weeks vacation and the first thing I did was go to the Similans.

Komdo or sippidan in a few weeks.... I love hollidays

... Just got back from a 4 day trip up there and the scratched Richelieu Rock because they were worried that the others couldn't handle it...

That's one of the worst reasons I've ever heard not to dive Richelieu Rock.
If it's in the itinerary they should have dived it and given the divers who are up to it a chance to enjoy it!

Imo Richelieu Rock is not a very difficult dive at all. It's a high-profile reef with lots of shelter from current and if divers are dropped at the right spot diving RR is really a no-brainer.

Back
Top Bottom