Similans Liveaboard - misc query

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jules_s13

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

Would anyone be able to assist me in a rather odd matter. I will be visiting Pkuket / Khao Lak sometime next week and I would really love to stay on a liveaboard and visit the Similans.

However, there is 1 BIG problem though. As my day job requires me to be 'on contact', may I ask if I will be able to use my mobile phone on GSM network while on a liveaboard at the Similans?

Cheers

At the Similan itself, cellphone does work for some network but my cellphone never worked there. Several boats do have satellite phones however so ask the boat if they have one available.

If you are going to be diving around Asia this is a problem that will not go away. First because GSM coverage doesn't extend to all the good dive sites, and second because the GSM operator you have may not have an operating agreement with the cellular service where you want to dive.

I carry my own satellite phone, which is NOT as expensive as you might think. Look into the ACeS system and find an operator in your area. They have post paid service covering all of Asia (water and land). Through my operator in the Philippines I pay about US0.25/minute and my phone is a hybrid GSM and satellite, so I only use satellite when I have to.

There are other systems - INMARSAT, IRIDIUM, GLOBALSTAR, etc. but ACeS is by far the lowest cost, although limited to Asia.

For a cheaper option, just buy a prepaid card from the local operator and divert all your calls to the new number.

Ushen,

I like the idea of cheaper, but it doesn't always work, and if your job is dependant on receiving calls, it is a risky way to go to save a little money.

Some examples where it might cause trouble: No coverage from GSM from any carrier (on a boat, remote locations, etc.). Not knowing which carrier covers the area where you will be diving. Poor coverage making conversations with the boss and/or customer of less quality than what is proper. Arriving at a time when buying a pre-paid card is not available. Running out of time on your pre-paid card when something at the office goes wrong. Needing to buy another load after running out in a remote area and not being able to.

Hi there,
Thanks for the comments and the advise everyone... really helps my planning for my trip... looks likely that I will have to cancel my liveaboard... sucks but ah well... life goes on....
Rgds

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom