Similans LAB: Queen Scuba or Pawara

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AMSD

Reaction score
I apologize if I am driving others as crazy as i am driving myself right now - making the FINAL decision on which LAB to do a 4/4 Similans/Surins trip in with my DH in 3/10 (our first time an a LAB as well as our first time in Thailand/SE Asia!) and i want to get this is "right" as possible. I thought I'd decided on a master cabin on the Pawara but instead of just stopping there i decided to go through my notes and other posts over the years on LABs on this site... and what do you know, I am worried about 'buyers (divers?) remorse' on this one since there are so many glowing reviews of the QS and not a ton of info on the Pawara. Photos of the latter seem more compelling but I realize they're just pics and don't speak to the experience... so hear I am imploring pity from you folks that have experience on either of these to please help me stick a fork in this so that I can move on with my life, I mean trip planning!

A side ? for you: I have over 100 dives but no AOW (too busy diving to take more classes?) but after seeing some posts, I'm worried this could be a problem on this trip. Thoughts? FWIW, I've done a lot of deep dives and night diving...

As always, thank you for your help!

Hi,

You have narrowed it down to two fantastic boats.

This season MV Pawara is being managed by a different company so staff and some other things have changed.

Both boats have excellent staff and amenities, I don't think you will have any regrets booking either boat. I have had some really positive feedback recently about MV Queen Scuba and their staff!

You can do your PADI Advanced Open Water course on the boats and not miss any (just a tiny bit with your navigation dive) of the great diving and its cheaper to do on the liveaboard. If you have deep and night dives logged and signed off you should be OK - you can organize the course after you speak to the instructors on the boat.

Wishing you a great trip.

I have had excellent feedback from every single customer I've put on Queen Scuba, so I can recommend this boat without hesitation. As for Pawara, she is under new management this season, but the op is one I've worked with quite a lot in the past for their speedboat daytrips, also with excellent feedback and good customer service. So I do think Pawara is a good choice. In fact, as I know you are considering a March trip, one of my customers will be on Pawara on the March 14-18 sailing doing AOW after amassing considerable diving experience.

I booked the Queen Scuba for March 25th. I did a bit of research and found it the most enticing. Marcia (Quero) helped me get booked. I can't wait, hope you have a great time!!!! Oh.... Thats actually something Im curious about... do you HAVE too have your AOW to do all the dives offered on the trip? I just got my AOW, but I was like you, 100 dives prior too getting it.

I dove 2 weeks straight on Pawara (but this was back in Nov/Dec 2007 - 2 years ago now).
The boat is HUGE. So that's a plus. However, at the time anyway, it wasn't really set up for uw photographers, if you happen to be one. And while I had a fantastic time, not everybody loved it as much as me - unless they've changed them, the mattresses on the beds are hard as a ROCK!

The boat was just so big though, it was great. Full size salon, staterooms on main deck. Upstairs a huge full size patio eating area and huuuuuge tv lounge. Our trips were light though, so it seemed extra huge.

Whichever boat you pick, you will love it, so don't agonize too much! ;-)

thanks everyone for the ever helpful feedback - Pawara it is!

Lets get a report when you get back! I'll give one for the Queen Scuba :D What date did you decide on?

Will defo do. We're on the Pawara for the March 19-23 sailing (or whatever the appropriate verb to use here is!)...

Will defo do. We're on the Pawara for the March 19-23 sailing (or whatever the appropriate verb to use here is!)...

Whats the rest of your itinerary like? We'll be in Phi Phi the week your on the LAB, but maybe we'll be in Phucket the same time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom