Similans and newbie divers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been diving there last year December and a couple which both had an Open Water certification did not see a lot of marine life during the 4 days liveaboard trip. Conditions can be fickle in these waters and i really recommend you to take some extra certification and get some additional dives under your belt before booking an expensive liveaboard.

In two weeks I'll be going on a Liveaboard with Richelieu Rock as it's main site - not the Similans. We'll be diving at Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock. I've been looking forward to this since Christmas when I booked the trip, it's gonna be a memory of a lifetime, but I'm also a little worried about my lack of experience. I only have 9 dives so far, and from what I've read the diving at Richelieu Rock is a bit advanced. Now, I've always loved being in the water and I'm not the anxious type (about having 40 meters to the surface etc), I have experienced pretty rough conditions on the surface before aswell as some current underwater, but I'd really like to not be 'in the way' for other divers if you know what I mean. The diving company said it should be fine, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to do as much as I can to prepare. Therefore I'm wondering, what kind of conditions should I expect and what is it about RR and the other spots that is considered 'advanced' when diving there?

I'm doing my best to prepare back home, I did a Scuba Review in confined two days ago (need to work some on my buoyancy but otherwise it was fine) and I'll be re-reading my OW-book on the 12hr plane. I will ofcourse be taking the AOW course on board. Also I thought making a post here would be a good idea. What else can I do?

It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on getting prepared, and it's excellent that you'll be doing the AOW on board. The one other thing that comes to my mind that you can do on your own is to practice breath control. Most inexperienced divers go through their air pretty quickly, and that is a combination of a whole lot of factors, among which is the breathing pattern used. Practice some slow, deep, controlled yoga breathing exercises until you feel quite comfortable with them, and you will probably find that you can switch on that sort of breathing pattern while diving to very good effect.

Hi Bjornas
I would advise to take AOW reference at place you live and complete open water on board. This will save you time and enhance enjoyment. Another option is to buy AOW book and take it along with you onboard the plane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom