Similans acomodation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblemonkey

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have had a good search on here and on the tinterweb but I cant find a definate answer.

I am looking to find out if you can actually stay on the Similans and are there dive opps there or is it live aboard only?

cheers

bubblemonkey:
I have had a good search on here and on the tinterweb but I cant find a definate answer.

I am looking to find out if you can actually stay on the Similans and are there dive opps there or is it live aboard only?

cheers

Bubbs, Have you seen this site? You can supposedly book accommodation in the park online. AFAIK there isn't a scuba operator on the islands, however. You might try Sub Aqua for camping/diving trips. PM me if you like.

so I guess my best bet is day trips or live aboards from Phuket then.

I hear good things about Dive asia any on recomend anywhere else?

also live aboards are a bit pricey....

you do pay for what you get to a certain extent, there are some very very cheap liveaboard operations and incredibly expensive.

they pretty much all do the same dive sites in the end though :D

cool cheers, guess we will have to have a look arouind once we get there...at the end of the day we are on a budget and not looking for luxury.

Liveaboards have many differences in how diving is conducted. For example, are all dives mandated as group dives - everyone gets in at the same time, dives in a group, and thens surfaces. Personally, that is not my style - but you get what you pay for. I have seen far too many divers put into the water for 30-40 minute dives, led at high speed around a dive site, and up to the surface. Make sure you know what type of diving you want and what you are going to get from a given operation.

bubblemonkey:
cool cheers, guess we will have to have a look arouind once we get there...at the end of the day we are on a budget and not looking for luxury.
The cheapest live aboards for the Similans are out of Ranong (Alladin and A-1). they are pretty bare bones but if you don't need luxury, they'll do. You are diving the same sites. I dove with them last year and had a great time.

There are both tents and nice looking bungalows run by the national parks people on Island 3 (Koh Meang). Had a brief wander around the island while on a liveaboard with Philkade. There is also a restaurant/bar there, and two lovely beaches. Looks low key and very relaxing for a couple of days I think. You can book online -
http://www.thaiforestbooking.com/np_home.asp?npid=212&lg=2

As for dive sites, liveaboard is definitely the way to go in the Similans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom