Similan Liveaboard Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpslim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did a look through and could not find recommendations so I thought I would repost.

Looking for a liveaboard in late January (probably about the 23rd or so). We are flexible on the date. We have not dove in Thailand/South Pacific before, so after a fair amount of reading and based on the time of the monsoon we decided that Similans would be best. Please respond with recommendations! :D

We are looking for something with the following general requirements:

* Moderate Price: we don't want to spend a fortune, but it has to have some comfort, after all, it is vacation! Good bathrooms, clean rooms, good space etc.

* Service/attention: we would like really good dive masters who will guide us-- we are comfortable divers with some experience but hey, who doesn't like attention.

* Boat size: given the above we could consider a smaller boat, but one of us gets a little seasick in rougher weather, so stability in the boat is important.

* Probably 4 days or so-- also this will be our first liveaboard.

Thanks for all the input-- oh and we are coming directly from Myanmar so where do we go to-- Phuket or is there a better jumping off point.

Thanks!
Seth

hi jpslim
*you will find that most liveaboards are around the 30,000 THB marker, many just below though.
*Service varies a lot as does expectations, as most liveaboards cannot be compared to that of in the Red Sea, but having said that they are quite good.
* Most boats that cater to tourists are quite good in size and comfort.
* i agree, get a few of them pills before you get on the boat and you should be good.
also, remember, the longer you wait until you book, the harder it will be to get a space on these boats. We have had to turn away a few potential customers due to waiting too long.
cheers

It was a a few years since my last visit to the Similans, so my info regarding ships aren't up to date. But, you must chose a boat that includes Richelieu Rock in the itinerary as it is in my opinion the superior dive site in Thailand. It is not a part of the Similan group, but situated further north close to Surin Islands.

Good luck

Christian

I second Christian's recommendation of including Richilieu Rock. I would say this site is a must do... To be honest, I found the Similians a bit disappointing (edit: maybe that's too strong of word... maybe average). I think I would have preferred to have spent a couple of days diving richileu rock which was quite impressive (we only did two dives there)!

I have been on the Queen Scuba liveaboard for two years running - last in Nov 05. You can book it through:

www.coralgranddivers.com

or any good agent in Phuket.

The boat is mid priced and is excellent. The rather pretty paintjob has now been replaced by a more fetching blue and gold now! 4- Day trips to Similans including Richelieu Rock (weather permitting) are standard - and as for the guy who found the Similans disappointing - I can only guess where else he must have dived. They are simply wonderful!

The most impressive thing about the Queen Scuba is the tour leadership. Our guide (Rich) gave some of the best dive briefings I have heard anywhere in the world and the safety and customer service were second to none.

The boat has all ensuite, nitrox and A LIFERAFT. Don't they all? No........ as Rich will tell you when his liveaboard sank last year and he spent 8 hours at night in the water covered in diesel fuel!

Anyway have fun!

I'm going on the South Siam 4 through Sunrise Divers in Phuket. $ days and goes to Richlieurock for $480.00. It leaves Jan21st. The boat is new.

Bathbiggles1, i have to agree with you, well my personal experience there is that it has been fantastic.

Yes there are a lot of boats and companies out there, also Colona just got a new boat in the water, but people choose the one they know for some reason??

I have found a few trips all leaving on those dates jpslim, hope you got the details?

Wow 480$ sounds like a steal, gotta check it out.

Hi Slim
We dove on M/V Jazz recently & it was great. The misses loved it as we had our own double bed cabin with A/C and bathroom with hot water showers....which is a treat on a dive boat:)
Anyway have just checked their website www.siamadventuredivers.com and they have trips departing on the dates below ( they run their own boat so are accountable!). A little bit above the backpack price but hey you get what you pay for. Takes max 16 divers in 8 cabins.
Enjoy
20-Jan-06 25-Jan-06 890$US Ranong / Burma / Tap Lamu 5day/5 night
25-Jan-06 29-Jan-06 720$US Tap Lamu / Similan / Ranong 4 day/4 night

Back
Top Bottom