Similan liveaboard (late April to early May)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pains

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning dive tour during the first week of May. And Similan liveaboard is one of the candidates. But sea sickness is the problem.

They say that the weather at Similan will be bad at that time although it's not full moon. Oppositely operators of Similan liveaboard say that it's Okay.

I want to hear frank opinions from who knows Similan well. How will it be?

Sorry for the poor English. :05:

The first week of May should be absolutely fine. There is a risk that the weather may be bad, but the last few years early May has been great.

Similan Dive Sites

By the way, the full moon does not change the weather, but has a huge effect on currents. Half moon is on 5th May. Around this time you will have less currents.

Enjoy!

As Batfish says, the first week is normally ok, maybe even also the second or 3rd week, depending on when the wind changes direction.
The later you go though, the less choice of liveaboard boats you will have.

Sea sickness is hardly ever a problem, especially not after reaching the islands, since there is always shelter there, and everybody likes to be sheltered from waves if there are any. But as mentioned, first week of May should be no problem.

Thanks Batfish and stevenl.

Your comments are very helpful.

Is there any possibility of encountering whaleshark at Similan or Richelieu Rock? I saw report of observation at shark point, Phuket but none at Similan.

And how was Similan this year compared with usual?

There have been a few whalesharks seen already this year. Over the last few years April has been the best time, never any guarantee. Richelieu Rock and Hin Daeng have been the top spots for sightings.

Have only heard good comments from guests this season in the Similan Islands. Early season (November especially) was not great due to worse than average weather. Since then it has been great. Had a lot of positive reports. I hope to get out next week, God willing (actually Boss willing).

Thank you a lot.

I'm going to choose diveasia liveaboard boat departing on 28th April. I think it's price is reasonable and it's been operating for years. Do you have any comment or other recomendation?

After the trip I will take enriched air specialty. How long does it take to get?

Good boat, experienced guide, but IMO too expensive for what they're offering.

Nitrox Course: takes 1,5 days (1/5 day theory + 2 dives).

It would make sense to do your Nitrox Course before the liveaboard or on the liveaboard, and find a boat that has Nitrox, so you can dive on the LOB with Nitrox. Especially for a LOB Nitrox makes a lot of sense.

I agree that it makes sense to do the Nitrox course on the liveaboard, if your boat offers Nitrox on board. If it doesn't it's almost as easy to do the course after the trip and do the two dives from a daytrip boat. You can get a head start on the course by buying the manual and doing the reading and Knowledge Reviews before the course begins.

Similans are sooo beautiful. I normally dive the similans at the end of the season...May time, and I have never been disapointed. The weather usually doesn't change until the end of May, but to be safe make sure that you have a supply of sea sickness pills, and drink lots of water.
The visabilty is usually pretty good, and the sites are often quiet that time of year. Also, the bigger stuff normally come out later on in the season.
Happy diving!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom