Similan Liveaboard Help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebugg

Reaction score
What a fantastic board - I have read most of the posts on Thailand going back over a year. I have found a very well-informed and helpful group of fellow divers. I think I am ready to ask my question!

My husband and I (early 50's, Rescue Divers) will be traveling to Thailand to visit our daughter who is teaching English in Bangkok. She is also a Rescue Diver and we want to treat her to a dive trip while in Thailand.

I have been researching the loads of liveaboards that do 4day/4night trips to the Similans and am getting confused on which one would best suit us. I am hoping this board can help. Here are some factors to be considered:

1. We are not backpackers anymore and would prefer a boat without a real party atmosphere. We like to have a good time and all, but don't wish to party all night long.
2. We would like to have ensuite bathroom, but could deal with shared facilities if everything else was great.
3. We would like A/C.
4. Great food is very important!
5. We are looking for uncrowded conditions.
6. Fantastic, caring staff, dm's etc are a huge plus.

I hope I have given some ideas of what we are looking for. Now, with all that we are still not able to jump up to some of what I consider "luxury" vessels like the S/Y Siren or Philkade. A little more $$ than we want to spend. We are looking at US $800-1200/pp. Some of the boats that have appealed to me are: Black/White Manta, Giamani & Colona VI. I have also looked at the SeaDragon site and am intrigued with the Andaman, but it looks like they have one large "sleeping room??"

Any personal insight would be very welcomed. thanks!

Hi Divebugg,
You will love the Similan Islands and the diving arround them and the sites to the north.
My recommendation would be MV Queen Scuba she is a very spacious boat with a huge dive deck. The cabins are available in twins, quads and doubles all with en-suite bathrooms and air-con. The food is delicous and plentiful and I cant speak highly enough of the crew.
You don't say when you are planning to travel - best to come before the end of April.
Wishing you fantastic diving!

Thanks for the info on the Queen - I will look at that one. We are coming end of Feb - beginning of March. Not sure yet exactly when we will be diving. Probably mid-March.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Hiya :) I just booked the Queen Scuba for the March 25th trip :) I researched a lot of boats, about 14 or so of them. The QS looked the best too me. I'm looking for alot of the same criteria you are. One thing.... book soon. I originally wanted the 15th trip on the QS and it was booked, as was the Black Manta for the 15th. I was going to book the QS for the 15th last month, they had plenty of openings, but had to wait for my GF's work sched to come out so we knew dates. In that month...they filled up :(

My choices were

1. QS
2. Black Manta
3. Colona IV
4. The Mermaid II (Until I read on here and talked to some folks that they had some re-occuring AC issues, and general service issues)

Greg

Now, with all that we are still not able to jump up to some of what I consider "luxury" vessels like the S/Y Siren or Philkade.
That's good, because the Philkade does not sail here anymore.

There are a lot of boats that would suite your requirements. Considering what you're looking for, I would not recommend Mermaid. Queen Scuba and Black Manta are good value for money, but maybe a bit high in price.
You could also check Giamani, Jazz, Pawara, Coplona, White Manta and Sea Of Fantasy that all seem to suit your needs.

They all have their pro's and cons.

Most of the boats I would list for you are mentioned above. One aspect that has not come up in the discussion is a consideration of trip length. The "standard" trip duration for the Similans is 4d/4n, and you will find that most of these boats offer trips of this length, but some also offer 6d/6n trips or 5d/6n trips. Of the 6d/6n ones, there are two types: one type does a combination of Similans/Surins north of Phuket and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang/Phi Phi south of Phuket; the other type stays in the north for the entire trip. It's something to think about when considering which boat to select.

Most of the others have it covered, but I'd like to add my 2 cents into a recommendation of the Black Manta. I think it suits your purposes almost ideally as it is a professional, well-kept, planned and delivered trip.

Furthermore, you have chosen the right time and place for diving. My trip was a similar time to yours, and although vis wasn't fantastic, there was everything from cleaner shrimp to a whale shark.

I found the same when I last dived Similan, poor vis, but plenty of life. By the way we've had a whale shark out at Anemone Reef this week. Maybe it was only the Krabi boats who saw it, because the Phuket guys have been quiet about it this week.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments. I know we need to book SOON! Very tough choices. I keep hearing great things about the Scuba Queen so I am going to dig deeper into that one for certain. Also - no one has mentioned the Junk? Any personal experience with her? I have to admit she looks intriguing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom