Similan Islands too busy over New Year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miniwid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all.

I'm looking for a New Year dive trip in Asia that's accessible from Hong Kong and the Similan islands liveaboard seems to fit the bill. Flights to Phuket are pretty cheap from HK. I'm an experienced diver in Asia (mainly Philippines and Indonesia) and certified Advanced.

I know very little about the Similan islands so I guess my 2 questions are:

1) Would New Year be crazy busy at the dive sites and ruin the experience?
2) How many days liveaboard is recommended? Looks like choices are from 4 days to 8 days. I could probably do 7 days/6 nights at a max but not sure if it's worth doing that long.

Thanks in advance for any advice. LoB boat recommendations also welcome.

Cheers

1. Flight will be more expensive even by HK Express over Christmas period.
2. Similan is always very busy. You really need to book months ahead especially for reputable boat. There are enough posts about LoB boats in SB for you to digest.
3. North and South in one trip but requires longer time.
4. Use Khao Lak as base instead of Phuket. You have plenty of time to travel from HK to Khao Lak within the same day.

The Similan islands are too crowded all diving season...do a south Andaman LOB instead (better diving too).

@miniwid
Never ever waste your money and time diving(day trip) from Phuket.
Not that many LoB would had gone south as far as Koh Lipe.
Instead of LoB, Koh Lanta is a godd base to dive around the area(excluding sites at Koh Lipe). However, all the sites around Koh Lanta are far so the daily rate is unusually high for just 2 dives but are still far better than those in Phuket.

Back
Top Bottom