Similan Island liveaboard experience and after thought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apologies for being off topic - as you may have guessed this is something I'm very passionate about :)
Karin

No problem brother. My biggest thought after my 6 month-trip to Asian countries is conservation and appreciation to our environment and natural resource.

I have to post...and please, I work at a competing shop, so don't take my comments as directed at the shop you mentioned (or any dive center in particular). I just wanted to follow up a bit on Karin's post...

The need for gloves really comes down the actual dive. If you are in strong currents, you are prepared for that by your guide and you are in a location that using gloves ot steady your self is required - then it may be needed. I have never experienced a dive like that in Thailand. Komodo, Vancouver...yes. If people are bumping into each other - then possibly the dive guide should be more attentive to the group or planning the dive a bit differently. If the current is too strong, it is common sense to call the dive.

Those pokey sticks are tools of last resort...in my opinion. The one time I have found them to be useful is for photographers to steady themselves - as a version of a tripod, which is much better than grabbing the coral. But again - should everyone on a dive have a camera?

last week I was in the Similans too. We didn't use a guide. Before the trip we asked to dive on our own. That was possible. First dive we followed a little bit the guide (and sometimes too), but we made our own dives. Sometimes strong currents, but no problems.
Nicest place: Boon Sung Wreck. Surin islands: everything dead. Richeleu Rock is nice too, other sites where ok, but not very special. NO whalesharks. On Koh Bon 1 manta. Seahorse on RIcheleu Rock.
I didn't use gloves, neither a wetsuit (water was 30 degrees). I used my shorts with pockets and a t-shirt.

Another problem with stick use in some areas is that it can bu used properly by one diver (with minimal impact) but another diver sees it, likes it for the bling appeal, buys one and thrashes through soft coral like a machete through the jungle in order to photograph a hawkfish.

Sticks should not be given to everyone and those seen abusing them should be educated and if they persist, then the operator should ban that person from diving with it (and tell them why).

Sorry to continue the hijack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom