Similan Diving Safari trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefffalcone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
These guys are awesome. All of the guides know all of the dive sites like the backs of their hands. The combination of laid back attitudes with extreme profesionalism that they exibit is rare. What a difference from the week I had with expedition fleet.

Conditions were between mediocre and bad at most of the dive sites, but these guys are so good that it didn't matter much. My guide, Gerald, seemed to be using ESP to find small critters. He would dart off right at a beautiful nudi that was beyond my visability. His knowlege of marine biology was also quite impressive.

We saw frog fish, mantas, leopard sharks, white tips, about 20 varieties of nudibranch, tons of octopi, turtles, and all kinds of little crustacians that I can't remember the names.

The food on the boat is top notch. If you're going to Similan, it would be tough to beat these guys.

The only complaint I have is there are too many boats in the Similans. When we were at rechilou rock, there were 12 other liveaboards there. What a mess.

Which dive site did you see the frog fish? I have recently done a lot of diving there, but no Frogfish...:(

laid back attitudes with extreme profesionalism
Sounds about right. Dolphin Queen is the only boat in this low "backpacker" price range that we like to book. The owners do a great job of running a low budget boat. Yes, its a wee bit crowded with 24 divers, but I reckon you get more than you pay for on this boat.

The water temp. was in the high 80s

On of the frog fish I saw was at Koh Bon, and I saw two at West of Eden I think. I'm not sure I have the site right on the two. They were well disguised and hiding in a staghorn coral. The one at Koh Bon was yellow and purple and it was walking around in the open on the west side of the island right near the point.

Here is a link Diving Khaolak Thailand: Similan Diving Safaris - liveaboard, day trip diving and snorkeling trips to the Similan Islands in Thailand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom