Similan day trips from Khao Lak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buksida

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Will be down there in a couple of weeks and have been scouring the net for dive ops and accommodation. Not much real upto date info on whats open though.

Seems the going rate for a day trip (2 dives) to the Similans is about 4300 baht, is this correct? Seems a little steep for 2 dives. I have recently done the same thing to Daeng/Muang from Lanta which is further distance for almost half that.

It seems that dive operators in Khao Lak have all bumped up their prices to recoup recent losses.

Anyone any dive op recommendations? Most of them don't respond to their emails!!

It might also be due to increases in fuel costs, although that sounds about what I paid for a daytrip the only time I did one to SI several years ago (the 4 hr travel each way is just not worth it unless for a LAB).

Note that if you do the daytrip via South Siam Divers, you might find yourself among 30 divers on the boat as it swells with the daytrippers.

Yes, that is the going rate and has been the rate already for some time.

I presume you're talking about Hin Daeng/Muang from Koh Lanta? Less than 2,500 Baht for 2 dives seems very, very cheap though, even on a slow boat. And from Koh Lanta, Hin Daeng/Muang are closer by than the Similans are from Khao Lak.

The trips to the Similans will be on a fast boat, normally a speedboat. Some also offer 3-tank dives, which I think makes a lot of sense for divesites that far away from shore.

If they don't respons to email, I would simply not book there.

4000 Baht plus is the going rate and has been for some years. Maybe used to be 3800, but the fuel prices went nuts last year and everyone has had to increase prices.

webdivebc- look closer - those rates are for dives close to Khao Lak, not at the Similan Islands.

If I would recommend any dive shop, I'd say try IQ (www.iq-dive.com). Price is 4300 Baht.

Batfish:
webdivebc- look closer - those rates are for dives close to Khao Lak, not at the Similan Islands.

Right thanks. I forgot it was not a short ride from Khao Lak.

Thanks for the responses, was just wondering what the crack was there. Have had a few email replies now (maybe they read this thread :D ) will post a report when I get back.

The diving from Lanta was on a slow boat and the prices were closer to 2,900 baht for two dives on daeng/muang. It took around 3 hours to get there, how far are the Similans from Khao Lak then? I always thought they were around the same or closer.

I would say Hin Dseng/Muang are a bit closer to Lanta than the Similans (also depending on which island) to Tap Lamu.

To the Similans daytrips are done by fast boat, normally speedboat, sometimes a catamaran, and they all burn fule like crazy, which I think is one of the reasons the Similans are more expensive.

buksida:
Thanks for the responses, was just wondering what the crack was there. Have had a few email replies now (maybe they read this thread :D ) will post a report when I get back.

The diving from Lanta was on a slow boat and the prices were closer to 2,900 baht for two dives on daeng/muang. It took around 3 hours to get there, how far are the Similans from Khao Lak then? I always thought they were around the same or closer.

About an hour and 20 minutes by speedboat to Isle 8. More if there's heavy chop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom