Similan - beginner dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moyabean

New
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a newbie with only 12 dives, 7 of which were in Fiji at 33-34m, but only 1 in swift current (threw everyone for a loop). I plan on getting my advanced cert before we go to Khao Lak.

Am I dreaming thinking that there are appropriate beginner dives at Similan and Khon Bon? I'd love to hopefully see some mantas and whale sharks, but are these dives even appropriate for someone with less than 25 dives? I've been surfing the liveaboard websites, but I think I may have put the cart before the horse here!

If I can get 20 dives under my belt before my trip, do you that will make me more prepared? The diving would be in a reservoir. I think the dive school uses the currents from the dam for teaching.

Any thoughts on what dive sites I can do?

Thanks! :)

The Similans consists of two different areas; the "original" 9 Similan Islands (no 1 to 9) and North of those the two later added Islands to the marine park Ko Bon and Ko Tachai.
Most sites within the original Similan National Park offer very good diving for beginner, intermediate and advanced divers. Sites that can be "hard" to dive (current) are Elephant Head Rock, Boulder City, Christmas Point, Fantasea Reef (closed for diving) and Deep Six.

Ko Bon and Ko Tachai often have current and thermoclines and are surrounded by deep water. The diving can be hard at those two sites if the conditions are not ideal.

It's good to hear you are planning to do some extra dives and getting your Advanced certification before you come this way. It will prepare you better for your diving. Listen carefully to the dive briefings and stay close to the DM / guide during your dives. (Most) of the local dive-guides know the sites very well and will give you an enjoyable tour.

Enjoy!

Bowmouth, thanks for the info. At those easier sites within the original park, is there still a possibility of seeing mantas and other great stuff? Sounds like the whale shark diving would be out of my range.

Bowmouth, thanks for the info. At those easier sites within the original park, is there still a possibility of seeing mantas and other great stuff? Sounds like the whale shark diving would be out of my range.

IF whalesharks are around they seem to be seen mostly at Richelieu Rock, Ko Bon and Ko Tachai. It's NOT true that we have lots and lots of whalesharks in our area and that it's a "common" creature to see here. Best chances to see them however are at the above mentioned sites.

Manta's are more frequently seen than whalesharks and are often seen at sites within the "original" Similan National Park AND Ko Bon, Ko Tachai and Richelieu Rock as well.
Your best chance to see a manta however may be at Ko Bon.

Although I would rate Ko Bon, Ko Tachai and Richelieu Rock as "Advanced" dives it does NOT mean that conditions are always rough and tough there. It all depends a bit on the moon-cycle (current), tidal flow and weather conditions.

The "original" 9 islands of the Similan national Park offer GREAT marinelife and lush and gorgeous reefs. Plenty of fish, soft and hard corals, fans, anemones and critters.
Also; water clarity is often BETTER here than anywhere else in the Thai part of the Andaman Sea.

:D

I would second Bowmouth's comments and say you'll be fine - your concern is well-founded, but provided you go with a good Similans liveaboard operator and stay close to your DM, you will be fine.

As Bowmouth says, while Koh Bon and Richelieu Rock are "advanced" sites, it's not like you're jumping into a washing machine :11: I have guided people with very few dives - much less than you - at these sites and they are not particularly challenging, provided you follow your DM's lead and listen to the dive brief. The fact you're asking these questions now means you will definitely be in top form to dive these sites.

Lastly ,the fact you will have done a couple of days diving already by the time you get to Koh Bon means you will have become comfortable with your gear, found your buoyancy and basically be tuned to diving these sites. Yes, you may feel a bit nervous before you go in but you will be fine. If necessary, explicitly tell your DM to keep an eye on you - there's absolutely no shame in doing so. We've all been there, only some people are less willing to admit it than others :D

I'd comment but I don't want to upset a certain member with my idiotic dribble...

Bowmouth, Happy...thanks for the info. It sounds like I need to forget the whale shark thing and just feel lucky if we get to see one. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

JDFMail, if you have any comments, I'd love to hear them. You can email me, too, if you'd like.

Yes, I'll stick close to the DM, which is what I've been doing.....almost glued...right behind him/her. And, I'll continue to inform that I'm a newbie. It makes me more comfortable to do that, and I just think it's polite to inform the DM who they're dealing with!

Now that I've learned that I can dive these areas - YEAH!! - I have a question that may be stupid, but I'm going to ask. Are there liveaboards that cater more to beginners and intermediates? I can't figure out how they can make everyone happy if there's a wide range of people wanting to dive hard and easy stuff at the same time.

Also, do you recommend that we get nitrox trained?

Bowmouth, Happy...thanks for the info. I have a question that may be stupid, but I'm going to ask. Are there liveaboards that cater more to beginners and intermediates? I can't figure out how they can make everyone happy if there's a wide range of people wanting to dive hard and easy stuff at the same time.

Also, do you recommend that we get nitrox trained?

Moyabean,

As far as I know are there no liveaboard-boats that just cater to beginner divers. Most liveaboards have multiple dive crew on their boat to take care of the diver guests. When divers come on board there will be an extensive briefing and often divers are being divided in small groups and get a DM appointed to them. Make sure you let the DM know BEFORE you get in the water that you're fairly new to diving and that you would appreciate to take it easy and slowly for starters. Then again, normally the first couple of dives of each trip are at "easy" sites and you will get a chance to check out your gear and buoyancy and the DM will get a chance to evaluate his/her divers at the same time.

Nitrox is not provided on all Liveaboards but if they do have it on the boat you will be diving off I think you can greatly benefit from diving with it. Some boats offer (affordable) Nitrox courses on board and you can just get certified there and then. It's an easy course without any underwater skills other than a couple of dives with Nitrox! Yes, there are a few lectures, an exam and some reading to do for the course but nothing extreme. If, on the other hand you are happy enough to do the course at home than that is ofcourse a very good option as well. Check first to see if the liveaboard you plan to book on has Nitrox available for their divers.

:D

Back
Top Bottom