Silly Suit Shrinking Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
This may sound silly but here goes:

Did my suit shrink? :06:

Background and Sources of Confusion:
I bought a ladies 9/10 SeaQuest 7mm wetsuit in 1997. It's a one piece backzip with step in hooded vest. I have always despised the vest and have worn it a very limited number of times. I wear the suit now to dive and it still fits, fits better in fact. I used it a lot when I first got it then it got limited use during college and now I use it a lot and it keeps me nice and warm. However the vest is a different story. It was a tad snug when I first got it and now there is just NO getting into it. Did it shrink? I admit to a considorable weight gain since the purchase but why then does the rest of the suit fit ok? If the vest did shrink is there anything I can do about it or should I just be quiet and get a new one?

Dont worry, neoprene does shrink after a while... but people will always have a sceptic smile when you tell them that you cant fit in your suit because it shrank. It's a very old diving joke.

No seriously, I can get into the suit fine with minimal wiggling and undecorious hopping around but I can't even get both sides of the zipper on the vest within 4" of eachother. I'd post illustrative photos if it weren't embarassing.

Any possibility that it was mixed up on a dive boat???
Has happened, you know.

Bet you may even find a good home for it here on the ScubaBoard.

the K

Nope, I don't boat dive now and the vest never came along when I did boat dive, it is definately my vest. Forget hopping, think nearly epileptic flailing, no way I could get in the vest without the assistance of a very large strong buddy and even if I did get into it I'd faint like those poor ladies who wore corsets so there is no point in putting it on. Maybe I can find somebody slim who wants to swap something since the vest is in great condition.

maybe the suit is a stretchier neoprene. And the vest is a lower quality neoprene, perhaps less stretchy to begin with and got even less so over time.

Very good point, thanks for all the input on this little conundrum gang :D I need to find a petite lady who wants to swap it for a knife sheath or something...

Before you give up on it I know someone who used to (had to?) soak his paddling wetsuit in warm water at the start of every season. He would soak it for a while then put it on and wear it around a bit. He swears that it worked great.

Another friend of mine had trouble zipping his suit at the start of this season. He hadn't been diving in a few years and it did shrink a bit. A few dives later it seems to fit ok (at least he can zip it).

John

I did wash it last night, I'll try it but it'll be a miracle, I seriously can't get it to close around my middle. Maybe I should stand on it and yank to stretch it a bit while wet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom