Silicone Neck Seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Kathy, can you find out why DUI's silicone neck seals are longer than the latex neck seals? I am having a hard time keeping the seal edge to lay flat without rolling over, but now I am tucking the silicone seal, just like I would a neoprene seal. I am not getting any leaks from tucking it, but would like to know the proper way to wear the silicone neck seal.

I would like have recommendation on undergarments for 40*F water temperature. I am Thinsulate 400.

Hi chrich -

You are correct. The length of the silicone seal is longer. The design had to be different because of the silicone material. I have heard a few people have experienced an issue with this. From your description you are getting a good (dry) seal. You want to make sure it is not overly tight. That would cause it to 'roll'. If it's comfortable and dry - yeah! On the other hand if you don't like the way it feels perhaps going back to latex might work better.

How is your Thinsulate 400 working for you? Are you overly warm or need extra warmth?

Thanks on the on Silicone neck seals. My gen1 neck zip seal is a tight fit around my noggin, so I might be sending my drysuit back to DUI for the G2 upgrade. This will be once I am back in a wetsuit.

Oops, I meant to say "I am thinking of Thinsulate 400." What is DUI recommendation for 40*F water, and what are other folks using, Thinsulate or Polartec?

Just a reminder that the G2 neckring is available in latex. It is not available in silicone at this time.

Xm450 jumpsuit which is made with Thinsulate is rate for 28-45 degree F water temps. Remember that temps vary depending on personal insulation needs.

A couple advantages the Thinsulate has. It is hydrophobic and will retain 90% of its insulation properties even if your drysuit completely flooded. Also it has a wind and spray resistant outer shell so in cold and windy surface conditions it will be warmer.

The Polartec PowerStretch is rate for 45-60 degree F water temps.

If you are getting chilly I would recommend the Xm450. Can you make it out to a DEMOTOUR and dive both garments? What is a DUI DemoTour Event? | DUI Online

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom