Silica Gel Packets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cinder4320

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are the sillica gel packets like you find in a shoe box or backpack useable in underwater housings? I tried searching on this to see if it was the same thing but had no luck. If they'd work they are free and easily replaceable. Anyone tried this or can anyone tell me why it won't work?

Miranda

Make sure that you don't eat them though...

I have a couple, I don't think they are re-useable either.
True story - last time I bought a pair of shoes, I was seriously considering 'collecting' the other silica gel packed from other shoe boxes!

Ahhh, the things i'll do for my camera :).

You might have to use a few (most of them are pretty small). You should be able to recharge them by putting them in the oven (electric-not gas) on low heat with the door open for 15 minutes or so. I don't know if a gas oven would work because one of the products of combustion is water, so it might not dry out the packs as well.

I've recharged the 2 gram packs from www.preservationstation.com by just popping them in the microwave and running the defrost cycle for a few minutes.

The color indicator will change back to blue before they are completely recharged. Microwave ovens work by heating the water molecules, so when the packs aren't being heated anymore, then they are recharged.

The disadvantage to random silica gel packets found in shoe boxes, etc. is that they usually don't have moisture indicator to show whether or not they are still working.

I use a combination of the color changing ones from Preservation Station and the generics in shoe boxes and such. Actually, I have my pharmacist collect them for about a week before I go on a dive trip - those are terrific sizes.

The reason I use both is that with one of each in the housing, figure the color changing one will tell me when both are saturated, then I replace them both. Preservation Station ones get saved for recharging, the pharmacy packets get tossed - since they're free and easily available, just get more the next trip.

I have seen them for sale at the LDS. Especially if the support photographers. You can try that unless you buy a lot of shoes.

Steve B

Very timely conversation. I just asked a question in the Canon forum that lead to gel packs.

I checked the preservation station web site. Which gel packs are you using? The 2 Gram Color Changing? Looks like they sell 10 for $4.95 and higher quantities. Is that the same product you all are using?

Thanks.

I use the bulk form of the silica from preservationstation.com.

You can place them in cut-off pieces of a nylon stocking with a twist tie so as to custom fit the packet to the space(s) in your housing.

They re-charge easily in a toaster oven on the lowest setting.

Keep the silica beads in a glass jar with a sealed lid and they will last a long time between re-charging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom