Signaling devices ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Now there is the perfect application for a Spare Air... powering the "Help, I've gone diving by myself and now I'm unconscious floating on the surface Air Horn."

LOL !!!

If a tree falls into the ocean, and nobody hears it, does it still make a wake?

I've never felt more compelled to prove a point than now that my idea is valid and worth some thought.

Never considered marketing or producing any of the inventions I've had except for a movie idea I've got. Must be something in the So Cal water!

Would like to clear up a typo.
"An alarm like the ones on the computers most of us use that lets you know your "DESCENDING" too fast would be an idea."
Should have read "ascending."
Was thinking it just not typing it.
The signaling device I was thinking of would not rely on air to power it or you to activate it. Electronics would power it like your dive computer and electronics would set it off like your dive computers ascent alarm.
Only more pressure sensitive and LOUDER!

Planning and executing a low-survivability dive is one thing. Admitting it, is quite another thing!

When you get in your new car with driver/passenger air bags to go to work do you put your seat belt on ?
Why does a jet fighter pilot wear a parachute ? Would a tech diver be considered a jet fighter pilot ? Would I be considered a little plane pilot ?
They don't crash do they ?
Why do planes have black boxes ? Is the plane more important ?
Why were the ( recentlyin the news)three teenagers trapped in an avalanche while snowboarding not wearing homing beacons ?
They wantED to make it harder for their (oxymoron) rescuers/loved ones to recover their bodies ?
Why do you wear a pager ? Is someone looking for you ?
**** HAPPENS !!!
Hey I found the name for my ALARM !!!
Yes.
**** Happens Alarm S.H.A Dude!!!
Why are we so eliteist as divers ? **** Happens only on land or in the air ?
I guess going splat on the ground is a little bit harder to plan a recovery for than in the OCEAN.

Man I sound like such an Ass, must be something in the water.

Thanks for your opinions. And I don't mind lectures anymore since I seem to be the guiltyist (is that a word) party.

Please let the flaming begin

TIA Jeff Gray

Uncle Pug:
Now there is the perfect application for a Spare Air... powering the "Help, I've gone diving by myself and now I'm unconscious floating on the surface Air Horn."

I was at my local dive shop yesterday, and couldn't help but overhear the owner trying to sell a newbie a spare air. :deal: All I could think of was your comment in another thread: "Scuba divers carrying a Spare Air demonstrate a lack of understanding." I just kept my mouth shut, but it was hard not to laugh.

as stated a million times above hard to see this occurring but a few points anyway:

you are saying the diver is panicing. Then they are not going to think about turning anything on. Sort of whatpanic implies.

Anyway, how about a self inflating smb? Its clipped to you, you are ripping to the surface for some bizare reason, so crack it open (pick up speed) and you hit the surface with a nice big SMB tied to you :p (you probably come 6 feet clear out of the water, clear the boat and land on the other side :p)

The dive boat covering you should be keeping an eye on the diver's bubbles and will see yoyu as soon as you hit the surface, when you don't respond they should be on the scene immedietly and no device is really going to speed this up, if they are on the ball. Instead the device will either be creating unneeded noise in an already tense environment or is bouyancy based will just cause hassle getting you into the boat.

Well one approach that would work would be a strobe that automatically went off either (1) when the ascent was too fast or (2) always went off when you hit the surface UNLESS the diver turned it off -- which presumably they would not if they were unconscious....perhaps even somehow tied to NOT lifting the inflator hose over there head on an ascent.

In the past, I have always found it to be enough of an indication that the diver was in trouble if, upon surfacing, they (1) didn't give me the OK signal, (2) were floating face down, or (3) were floating face up and not moving. But then again, when I am on the boat or shore, I keep an eye out for divers in the water. YMMV

So Cal Divin:
Hello

Does anyone make a signailg device that a diver can use if they were going to be unconscious bt the time they hit the surface to signal for help ?
One with a on/off button as opposed to a momentary button .
Don't wan't to here the lectures on dive buddies or diving alone or how you came up unconscious.
Just think it is a viable idea for any diver to think about .

TIA Jeff

Aqualung makes the "Surface Observation Signal" (SOS), a safety tube that you can add to the lower exhaust port of your BCD (http://www.aqualung.com/products/sos.html). Inflating it underwater would make you more buoyant and send you to the surface faster, but it might accomplish what you're looking for in a visual signal. I think it would be simpler and faster to deploy an Aqualung SOS than another type surface marker buoy and it has no lines that might entangle an unconscious diver. Once inflate, dumping air from you BC will not dump air from the SOS.

You could also buy a Personal Locator Beacon (they have underwater versions that help your boat locate you and surface versions that are meant for rescue of people lost at sea - I don't think those withstand diving depths however). These are fairly expensive.

Perhaps it's unlikely a diver about to blackout would have the time and ability to deploy a signaling device, but I can think of some unusual scenarios in which a person might become faint.

- Nausea and lightheadness from an Illness not evident before the dive.
- Severe pain from injury (broken leg, animal bite or sting).
- Sensitivity to blood loss from cut or byte [some individuals are sensitive to even minor and temporary bleeding and become faint (e.g. synchopy)].

I'm not sure I'd want to risk rocketing to the surface by inflating something attached to myself, so I'd probably try to deploy a SMB from depth and/or ask my buddy/a neighboring diver for assistance, but it's better to be at the surface with DCS than at the bottom with no air (or unconscious with no regulator in my mouth).

Just some thoughts...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom