Sidewinder 2.0 spotted at BOOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I got my question answered in this video.

9:15 Designed by somebody who is not a rebreather diver? Or at least not certified.

I don't understand why they put in the second dump valve on the inhale-side head. Also, I don't know about doing a cave dive or +200 ft dive on just one 80 of dil-out... is this in line with training standarts for MOD2 or any ccr cave class? Sounds like it is in the video.
He did say that you would also have 50% and 100% bottles on the sides.

Its almost like that configuration is for deep wreck dives off a boat rather than cave diving....

Imagine that, a rebreather that can be configured different ways for different types of diving...

Just like the original sidewinder...

That doesn't help when you only have one 1. stage for deep dil-out. He also said he could go pretty far in a Mx cave with an 80 for bailout.
Bailout challenges -- planning, carrying and using -- are the same for all rebreathers. You need sufficient and correct bailout gas regardless of the box or configuration: sidemount, backmount, chestmount… It’s all open circuit

You can go far on a single Ali80 bailout. But you can go more than twice as far if you've two Ali80s.

There are multiple configurations (BM single, SM doubles). The one I don't think they offer is BM doubles, but that wasn't the sidewinders purpose to start with.

There are multiple configurations (BM single, SM doubles). The one I don't think they offer is BM doubles, but that wasn't the sidewinders purpose to start with.
That's beside the point. The guy is an IT or examiner I think. It's odd that he doesn't see the issue with using only 1 first stage for dil and BO. It has nothing to to with the SW.
The comment below was about what he said about the configuration, the type of ccr doesn't matter.

Also, I don't know about doing a cave dive or +200 ft dive on just one 80 of dil-out... is this in line with training standarts for MOD2 or any ccr cave class? Sounds like it is in the video.

That's beside the point. The guy is an IT or examiner I think. It's odd that he doesn't see the issue with using only 1 first stage for dil and BO. It has nothing to to with the SW.
The comment below was about what he said about the configuration, the type of ccr doesn't matter.
Anyone who dives a rebreather knows about bailouts and planning. Whilst the guy might have said "a single ali80", nobody would do that and neither would he. It's not even released as a product yet.

Cut him some slack. He'd probably been up half the night and was talked out at the show.

It's common for some back mount units which plug their Dil and bov into a single off board source as far as I can tell. I'm not a cave diver. Do all re reather divers in caves use true twin side mount bottom mixes, particularly when they plug in off board by configuration for the dive?

It's common for some back mount units which plug their Dil and bov into a single off board source as far as I can tell. I'm not a cave diver. Do all re reather divers in caves use true twin side mount bottom mixes, particularly when they plug in off board by configuration for the dive?

I'm not cave but know several, the answer is depends on dive plan, depth, how far into cave etc.

In other other words, as usual berndo is just making stuff up.

I'm sure all don't, but I do.
I'm not a fan of overhead diving with zero redundancy.

Back
Top Bottom