Sidemount setup/bc that can support wetsuit/al80 and drysuit/steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All wing don't perform well at is full capacity especially in sidemount ring, I recommend a little more lift that you would need, so when you get neutral especially at the beginning of the dive, the wing is at more or less at is 70% this way performance, snug, balance is perfect and more important with diamonds/triangle balloon effects significantly stops

Guys I ended up getting an SMS100 + Edd Mods. Should be more than enough to get me into sidemount and through trimix + some caves. Plus the occasional backmount (I don't care that it isn't optimal for it, the fact that It can do it is more than enough reason to backmount with a sidemount). :) thanks for the help.

There's a video showing the conversion to backmount, uses the plates from Diverite, makes it a decent BM rig. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unrelated, but take no offense to this. You do know that AL80's don't actually save you any weight right? OMS 98's are 38lbs and neutral, Luxfer 80's are 32lbs and need 4.4lbs of lead to sink that you have to carry on a belt....

Yes of course.
I sold my twin 98's doubles, manifold, bands etc.
The weight I'm saving is dry weight.
I cannot handle the mass in one assembly.
I have had a total right knee replacement.
I needed to down size literally.
Mike D

---------- Post added November 9th, 2015 at 09:52 AM ----------

Which Nomad SM system are you using?

The LTZ has 35lbs of lift (+ another 10 from optional duel bladder) so potentially 45lbs of lift.

Do you think that would be enough lift to dive hp100's (with a drysuit)?

I have the older pre-2009 Nomad (XT) large bladder. It has plenty of lift. Sorry can't comment on the LTZ.
I don't use much air in my bladder with aluminum's, when I dove my steel 98's I had plenty of lift.
35lbs sounds fine, if you have a shell drysuit. 3lbs on the bottom of my aluminum's works for me.
But I'm a big guy 6ft 250 lbs.

Mike D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom