Sidemount instructor recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ORsolodiver

If you do get the Xdeep and you don’t mind not solo diving once in a while and want to meetup up and talk about configuration issues let me know. I hope to be diving in Hood Canal once per month over the summer. Fall I’ll be diving like crazy hopefully

What exposure protection? What Kosta nd of tanks? If steels what bungee thickness and length did you use for the loops?

I was diving wet that week in a 2pc 5mill using LP95s and I think the bungee is just medium thickness the length I couldn’t even guess because we got it started above water and the adjusted it hovering just below the surface so the tanks sat level.

I was diving wet that week in a 2pc 5mill using LP95s and I think the bungee is just medium thickness the length I couldn’t even guess because we got it started above water and the adjusted it hovering just below the surface so the tanks sat level.
It is nice to dive wet, as you can make adjustments more easily. I dive in a dui dry suit with zip gloves, so my chest area is baggier and as I’ve had rotator cuff injuries in both shoulders all add up to making it harder for me to reach the tank bungees and make quick adjustments. That’s why I first want to get trained by a cold water Xdeep Stealth expert like Garry Dallas or Tomasz Michura.

Lamar Hires is the best one to teach Dive Rite Side Mount... his son is a close second. Edd Sorenson would by my choice for all other products.

@ORsolodiver

If you do get the Xdeep and you don’t mind not solo diving once in a while and want to meetup up and talk about configuration issues let me know. I hope to be diving in Hood Canal once per month over the summer. Fall I’ll be diving like crazy hopefully

That would be great! I'm always looking for new dive buddies. I dive mostly in Hood Canal these days and do Sund Rock a lot.

I can vouch for Marissa as top shelf instruction. She was very patient and informative while getting me situated and didn’t have the this is the way I do it so this is the only right way approach. She also explained why we were making the adjustments that we were making so that in the future I’ll be able to make appropriate adjustments when they are needed.

Find someone who dives sidemount when they don’t need to but because they like to. Find someone who does the kinds of dives you anticipate making down the road. If you have to travel to Florida or Mexico to find that then I’d say it is a trip worth making.

If you do decide to travel for your class let the board know. You never know who might have a spare room available or know of a great low budget place to crash during your trip.

Sounds like she is top notch and you had a great experience. I am going to look her up and may just end up heading over to Florida. Thanks!

Sounds like she is top notch and you had a great experience. I am going to look her up and may just end up heading over to Florida. Thanks!

Marissa Eckert & James Draker – Hidden Worlds Diving Hidden Worlds. James Draker & Marissa Eckert. North Florida. High Springs area.
ProTec Dive Center Playa del Carmen, Mexico Protec Playa. Patrick Widmann, inventor of the xDeep Stealth 2.0. Playa del Carmen, Mexico.
Cave Adventurers - Home page - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold! Edd Sorensen, Hollis stuff. Marianna, Fl

I'm surprised no one mentioned Steve Martin from Sidemounting.com. He also does a lot of YouTube videos and has an extensive amount of online training through a subscription that is well worth the price. Most of the training is based on X-Deep or the Razor. I've personally dove with him in the past and he is very knowledgeable and an excellent instructor.

I started out diving in the PNW and lived along Hood Canal just down the road from Sund Rock. Once I moved to Florida in cave country, I met one of Steve Martin's close friends named Joe Seda who also specializes in the X-Deep and teaches Steve Martin's system as well. Joe is who I took my sidemount class with, he is very detailed oriented about the system and goes over everything inside and out. We tested the system with everything from wetsuit to drysuit and aluminum cylindars compared to steel and what changes to the system should be made. He is located in the Gainesville, FL area and would be an excellent instructor. Looking back at diving the PNW, I would definitely go outside that area to get training. X-Deep is mostly used in the caves, so Florida cave country would be the best place to get your training. They can put you on the right track from the get go.

I would not suggest Dive Rite for sidemount compated to the X-Deep. I know some people who love Dive Rite and have no problem with it but I prefer X-Deep substantially more.

I'll usually use a set of LP85's with opposing valves although I really liked the aluminum 80's.

Hopefully this helps a little.

I am in the Sacramento area of CA and quickly came to the conclusion I would need to travel for SM and XR deco. Found this thread when trying to chase down where to go for training. Very helpful information. Anyone have any newer or updated recommendations?

Wanting to do this training for air redundancy, a little longer and a little more depth. Basically just love being under water and further my skills and knowledge. :D

Back
Top Bottom