Sidemount for Kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use cave line size polypropylene line and a 6lbs anchor, no issues at all. Sometimes I can tie off but that depends on the dive site. My kayak is 14' and only has room/weight allowance for 1 tank so I bring an HP120. I only have a dozen dives on it so I'm still learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the admittedly stupid question, but how does kayak diving work without an umbilical anyway?

I mean even in absolutely still water it will drift off and carrying enough anchor line even for only 20-30 meters of water must be heavy and cumbersome on a kayak.

I always thought I would want to try that, but I cannot find solutions for all the problems I could think of.

You can just tow the kayak along with you as you dive.

As far as a BC goes another option to consider is one from DECO - Dive Equipment Company - Sidemount - BCD's

I use one as my warm water travel sidemount rig. I bought the individual plates and took a bunch of webbing, d-rings, and what not that I had lying around to make a harness (the number 2 harness). I did use their bladder.

This is a pretty minimalist set up. In fact I jokingly refer to it as a commando style sidemount rig because it gets the job done, but there isn't a lot of extra fluff to it.

The BC works pretty well. At 22 pounds of lift it's more than enough life for a pair of Aluminum 80 and possible a 40 cf deco tank. The harness is pretty comfortable (well as comfortable as you can expect) and provides ample real estate to mount a pair of back up lights, a Dive rite Z-knife, a safety spool, and a detachable pocket on the back. I also use the Dive Rite rings bungee and neck choker system.

Another nice thing about this rig is that you can pack a couple of extra slides, d-rings, a length of bungee, and length of webbing and the whole thing is pretty much field repairable. That's a pretty nice thing if you travel a lot.

Cons: Fully inflated the bladder feels like a beach ball in the small of your back. There is a chance that you will have to use some trim weights. I use one pound on each shoulder. The 2 inch nylon webbing isn't the most comfortable in the world so you might want to invest in some of those shoulder pads for both the shoulder and the crotch strap.

As for diving off a kayak. I've done it with aluminum 80's once, so I guess that pretty much makes me an expert or something. I've done it more with a back mount BP/W set up. However, I'll never go back to back mount. The biggest hassle was getting the cylinders into and out of the water; they're heavy and the kayak isn't the most stable platform.

Someone suggested using a pair of Al40's and they'd be a lot easier to work with. Another option and this is the route that I'm going to go is a pair of LP-50's. If you live near cave country or a tech shop they will probably have no problems overfilling these. And at that point you have nearly as much gas as an aluminum 80 in a smaller package.

Sorry for the admittedly stupid question, but how does kayak diving work without an umbilical anyway?

I mean even in absolutely still water it will drift off and carrying enough anchor line even for only 20-30 meters of water must be heavy and cumbersome on a kayak.

I always thought I would want to try that, but I cannot find solutions for all the problems I could think of.

Anchoring is not a problem. The kayak weighs very little and has minimal windage. I also tow it as if it were (and it is) my surface float. The tow/anchor line is just 5/16 nylon double braided line as you would use on a hand reel. I use a Trident flip winder. I clip it to me. My anchor, if used, is a 1.5/3 pound depending on conditions and sometimes just a reef hook. I never leave sight of my anchor, usually just carry it. It is very small and no hinderance. If drifting I just carry the reef hook, if I see something I hook in for a moment, then carry on. Remember, a kayak is only 70 pounds or less, sits very low and has very little drag.

Anything worth doing is worth a little effort. If you want easy, kayak diving is not it, if you want adventure, then yes.

I put my wing/BP in the water with the wing inflated and the rig always tethered to the kayak until it is on. I may put the rig on as a I descend. I take it off once returning to the kayak and clip it to the tether. Once aboard I hoist/drag it into the tank well. I typically use an aluminum 63 or a steel 72. Occasionally an aluminum 80. I have, not a brag, a quite low air consumption, a 63 gives me plenty of BT even in deeper water (than most on my much larger tanks) and is much less cumbersome to handle. Deeper than 60 feet, just like any shore dive pulling a float, you are dragging an awful lot of line. Yes, I have done 100 foot plus kayak dives, again, not ideal, think of this as shore diving with a place to take refuge (if needed) instead of a silly styrofoam floatie with flag.

I do not think having tanks suspended from a kayak without a (inflated) BC attached to be a good idea unless you want to flip it. YRMV. Good luck with that.

Concerning Pelican kayaks. They are not one piece rotomolded UV inhibited PE boats to my knowledge but instead two piece thermo-formed sheet plastic. Not particularly rugged I should think. You could use a 10 feet Pelican from Dicks for a surface float for calm water but I would rather not challenge the open sea with one. An OK Scrambler 11, OK Prowler 13, the long gone and highly sought after Scupper Pro TW, the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 12/14 are all better suited to SCUBA use. For spearing you want a hatch that can take your guns and most spearos prefer the longer, sleeker boats with a large bow hatch. SCUBA divers do fine with the chunky little Scrambler.

I think of kayak diving as an extension ladder to extend my reach for shore diving. The typical, my opinion, practical maximum one way distance is 1.5 to 3 miles meaning a 3 to 6 mile round trip. A Scrambler can cruise at about 3.5 MPH, a Scupper, quite a bit more, 5ish. Long skinny boats can be just as stable as short fat boats and a lot faster, just more difficult to manage, load, tote etc. Thus my recommendation on midsize SOT kayaks of 11ish to about 14 feet. Again, spearos/free divers are not toting a tank or tanks thus they can better handle a longer/larger boat.

N

Last edited:
I'm using mine on local lakes of less than 300 acres. I'd not consider it appropriate for open ocean or even great lakes use.

I was not trying to correct you, only point out to other parties that not all SOT kayaks are created equally. I have seen those little Pelican SOT kayaks for as little as $199 and for playing around they are fine. Long term durability or rugged use might be a concern. They are made from two pieces and thermally welded. While an OK or WS etc. may appear to have a seam that is actually, as I understand it, a mold parting line, not an actual seam.

When I first started kayak diving I was in the beginnings of my minimalism fanaticism and attempted to dive sans BC from my kayak, trying to get the rig on and off while I was still in the boat. Did not work so good. Then I tried hanging (steel 72) off the side and not so good there either. However, since this is a thread on side mount, I think you fellows may be on to something with using two 30cf or 40cf tanks. Simply unclip them and push them into the boat tank well one at a time before you board the kayak. Once both are in then tether them off and then bring yourself aboard, same getting in, put your rig on, then once in the water reach in the tank well and one at a time attach your cylinders to your SM rig. Might work.

N

Towing a kayak like a float is pretty much out of the question in Monterey, CA. The thick kelp prohibits it. Likewise the kelp prohibits the hookah approach.

I use a kelp clip once I locate my dive site on a handheld GPS. Then drop a 3 lb anchor off of rope.
Quite a few people and even kayak dive instructors forgo the anchor and just use the kelp clip.
I prefer the anchor as it gives me an anchor line to orient my dive at the bottom.

BTW I have 2 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13's, tricked out for kayak diving.

Set up has allowed me to dive Aumentos Reef, Erics pinnacle and other sites that i could not get to from shore.

If anyone is up for it , wants to try it out , or needs a kayak dive buddy in Monterey area, hit me up. Ive got the ride.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom