Sidemount as a first own setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, I was about to ask what do you do with the boltsnap after disconnecting it.
So a grommet around the tank neck with a double-ender which you take off when not in use?

Yes, I have nylon cord I have tied that just fits over the valve that I can take on and off when switching cylinders out if they are not mine. Then. the double-ender attached. My pleasure. Always available to answer any Sidemount questions.

Sidemount more than other rigs, does need to be configured or optimized for the type and style of diving you do.

I generally boat dive in warm waters, and travel with my gear all over

Hence the harnesses are set up with cam bans for quick changes, My 1st stages are set to non handed tanks (I prefer valve down)

My rigging is as optimized as it can get, (thanks to @RainPilot spending a shallow dive with me, fine tuning adjustments) I say as it can be, because rental tanks can have different buoyancy

And yes like others, I can kit up quickly, drop in with a DPV either giant stride or back roll, get back in the boat with cylinders still attached or not depending on the situation

I use ring bungees because I prefer them, tried both options and settled on one that I find the easiest

Because I don't like Tek shorts, I have a large pocket on each tank band to stow dsmb, spool, reef hooks and the like. If I were making a dive with tight penetrations I'd re configure (been there, done that, over it)

My rig might not suit lots of people, but it was thought about and in the early days tweaked to provide solutions to MY needs

So far its done 200+ dives mainly in current, in Oman, Komodo etc

So I guess my point is you start off with the basic config, but absolutely tweak it to meet the demands and needs of your diving

My pile of discarded hardware is testament to the amount of tweaks I've made, some successful, some great on land but rubbish underwater

Because I don't like Tek shorts, I have a large pocket on each tank band to stow dsmb, spool, reef hooks and the like. If I were making a dive with tight penetrations I'd re configure (been there, done that, over it)

I like that idea, I'm going to give that a try

I like that idea, I'm going to give that a try

So what I do - bear in mind I've just thrown my sling on a tank for pictures..

Next to the pocket I have a D- Ring just so (in this case) I can secure my spool to it, or indeed anything that's in the pocket for additional security

upload_2020-4-4_23-39-59.png

On my choker, I also have a Steel ring that I use to clip off accessories that I need for the dive

upload_2020-4-4_23-42-46.png

As below in this case Where I stow my pointy stick with compass and reef hook (my reef hook would be in the pocket unless I was expecting current)

upload_2020-4-4_23-43-37.png

At the end of the dive, everything is nicely stowed, no dangles - and if needed to easy to hand up tank

Pre splash I'll put stuff I know I'm going to use on these rings, thus not cluttering up chest D-Rings with anything

Some people may not agree, but it's proved itself on many dives to be a good working solution for my type of diving
I've done up to 5 dives a day changing both cylinders after each dive without issue or faff.

Back
Top Bottom