Side scan pictures--what do you see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update, I had sent a few images to Humminbird and asked them why I am seeing the same thing on both sides sometimes. The answer is that at the lower frequency setting I was using and in deeper water --the wide coverage of the beams actually can overlap at the bottom below the boat. I observed that this was true because I had a split screen with the normal downlooking sonar on and it displayed the target directly below as well. Therefore an object directly below the boats path can show on both sides of the screen. Think of it this way. You have two eyes. Look at a distant object in the center of your vision field. Close one eye and then the other--you see the same objects in the center of the field but each eye sees different objects at the outward limits of the periphery left or right--correct?! Using the 262 hz frequency the beam coverage is very wide and so there is something of a stereoscopic effect directly below the boat in deeper water where the beams sometimes overlaps or nearly so. Cool. N

Too bad theres not any computer software to combine the 2 images. It could give a great 3D rendering since you are "viewing" it from a slight stereoscopic state.

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom