side mounted "exhaust" or "traditional" configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

new mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Obviously, I'm a new diver based on how I've worded this, right? "Exhaust"?? Exhalation area??

I see the side mounted is leaner and eventually I plan to use my camera. Is the side-mount as sturdy and reliable as the 'traditionally'-configured regulator? What is the opinion pro vs. cons? Thanks for your help!

Maura

I get where you are going.....personal preference, although when taking pictures.....try not to exhale at that moment.

Practice taking pictures and see if it affects you. I've used both as well as a rebreather for picture taking.....doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Sorry - when you exhale, the bubbles come out to one side (to the side of the regulator) whereas, typically they come out around the edges of the circle (to the middle of your face)..

People own Poseidon regs for that reason. They're among the most highly regarded brands made. http://www.poseidon.com/products/regulators-gauges

I've used a Jetstream that vents to the left so since my right eye is often up against the viewfinder it's a nice option.
Since I shoot video, not exhaling isn't always an option.

Most people call it side exhaust.

Reactions: Jax
Side exhausts are often perceived as “wet breathers” until you get used to rolling your head slightly to the exhaust-side to get the water out. It is normal for a little water to leak past your lips. It just goes out the exhaust on conventional regulators unless you are head-down. You don’t have to roll far — only a few degrees so the water flows towards the valve. People who dive double hose regulators and rebreathers are very familiar with the issue.

Side exhaust regulators are ambidextrous — the hose can come over the right or left shoulder on the fly. This makes it an especially good choice to pass to another diver in an OOA event. I prefer my nearly 30 year old Oceanic Omega over a newly acquired Atomic for comfort and bubble deflection.

Last edited:
Poseidon regs are great breathers. However, most modern regs are great breathers.

Poseidons are also fairly unusual and generally expensive. They're also a bit harder to service and tune, so you really need a Poseidon expert.

I just don't see any compelling reason to get a Poseidon reg. The only person I ever knew who dove with one was my AOW instructor and he seemed to always be fiddling with them.

Double hose regulators are great for underwater photography. All the bubbles are behind you.

So quiet and smooth, no bubbles scaring the critters or constantly slapping your ears or obscuring your vision.

IMG_1979.jpg

N

My mask stays drier with a double hose, too. No bubbles slapping it around and the mouthpiece tabs are smaller and don't push out my upper lip. Many photographers and videographers love double hose regs because they're the only way to really have no bubbles in your face, other than a rebreather or free diving.

But, as a new diver looking for a regulator, I'd suggest just getting a traditional 2nd stage, not a side exhaust, mostly because the selection is so much better. You're going to get some bubbles in your face either way, you'll learn to deal with it. I do remember in my first OW pool session being surprised by all the bubbles in my face, but then again when you're kneeling on a pool floor facing forward, guess where the bubbles go? When you're swimming in a horizontal position they tend to rise up on either side of your face instead of right in front.

Back
Top Bottom