Side mount single tank appropriate for recreational Open Water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly. 1 AL80 is not going to make a difference. It's just like stage diving. 1 or two AL80's on one side will not make a difference. You say you don't use much weight to shift around. I salt water I wear 2 pounds, I just leave it in the pockets of my wing on each side of my spine, and I have no issues.

Just to add to what the guys were saying about SM single tanks....its just like slinging a 80 stage/deco bottle.....think about it, you have a balanced doubles rig....then you add the stage....never really much issues.

So now I raise this question....all the SM vs BM adv/disadv are all based on a doubles set up (ie manifold vs not having a manifold, access to all gas if one fails) now id ask what you consider the downsides to SM a single tank? Ive tried a single tank just playing around at the end of a dive and really found no issues with it. I'm going to take er out for a full dive once im done the current training dives ive been doing.

now id ask what you consider the downsides to SM a single tank?

Funny looks from people. :facepalm:

Just to add to what the guys were saying about SM single tanks....its just like slinging a 80 stage/deco bottle.....think about it, you have a balanced doubles rig....then you add the stage....never really much issues.

There is a huge difference in slinging an AL80 to a double set and to a single tank wing setup/backinflate

On a double setup the lift force of the wing flap is applied to the outside of the tank which is located far from the body centreline and roughly above the d ring. Which allows to compensate for the weight by sending more air on that side.

If you use a single tank back inflate especially without any tank in it a the OP intends to do the force will be applied closer to the center.

If you dive a dry suit you can compensate a bit with your sleeves bit in a wet suit it will plain suck:)
You will be rolling on one side at the beginning of the dive and on the other at the end.

IMHo the Op will be creating more problems than gaining anything

I appreciate all the replies. It is interesting to see the replies from JamesK, Foxhound, and SuPrBuGmAn all stating that sidemount with single won't affect balance. And from your replies I assume you three have actually tried this configuration.

Then Elan comes along and states:

You will be rolling on one side at the beginning of the dive and on the other at the end.

Elan, it's not clear from your reply if this statement comes from first hand experience or not. If so I can see that messing with moving weights around to adjust trim mid dive would be a con.

JamesK, thanks for the links on the Oxycheq gear. I hadn't come across that company in my BCD searches. I like the color options available. I assume these would be fairly easy to setup for sidemounting a single tank fairly easily?

Thanks

There is a huge difference in slinging an AL80 to a double set and to a single tank wing setup/backinflate

On a double setup the lift force of the wing flap is applied to the outside of the tank which is located far from the body centreline and roughly above the d ring. Which allows to compensate for the weight by sending more air on that side.

If you use a single tank back inflate especially without any tank in it a the OP intends to do the force will be applied closer to the center.

If you dive a dry suit you can compensate a bit with your sleeves bit in a wet suit it will plain suck:)

IMHo the Op will be creating more problems than gaining anything

If you are using rig that is designed for side mount, that's a non-issue, the wing on a SM rig is set up in such a way so that gas in the wing can be towards the outside of the body's center line as you put it.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-h4AEfrgCyBw/TgrCWGUD6sI/AAAAAAAAAoM/zcPwgY6ebIA/s1600/picshow1.asp.jpg

as you can see the piece going down the center will allow you to control the gas bubble, you can keep a bit more gas in the side you have the tank much in the same way as BM setup.
This works with an Alu80, Im sure a large steel tank would be much different

Single tank SM Video
Sidemount scuba diving with a single cylinder - YouTube

Elan, it's not clear from your reply if this statement comes from first hand experience or not. If so I can see that messing with moving weights around to adjust trim mid dive would be a con.

JamesK, thanks for the links on the Oxycheq gear. I hadn't come across that company in my BCD searches. I like the color options available. I assume these would be fairly easy to setup for sidemounting a single tank fairly easily?

Thanks

I have no experience with zeagle express but have experience with similar types of BC. It is all doable but not really comfortable.

Unless you have something sticking out moving the point of bladder force application it will be disbalanced. The al80 is still heavy - about 5 lb so you will either have to balance it with the air or weights. And you will have to move them along the dive.
Besides you will have to route your second reg somehow unless you are diving solo.
I personally see no benefit. :)

Well the OP was referring to a BC like zeagle express tech or trabspac which does not have those plastic plates spread over

express tech, def agree, transpac.....if it uses the nomad in a sm configuration, sure.....regular wing, i would again agree

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom