Side mount & DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool

Contributor
Reaction score
No, I am not a DIR diver at present and probably won't become one in the future, but this question that I have has been begging to be asked for a while, and no, a search didn't turn up any answers.

I just gotta know, does the DIR pilosiphy allow for a sidemount setup?

From reading quite a few threads in here, my initial thought would be no, since every time the issue of independant doubles come up, those who are DIR take issue with the idea.

But what about a cave dive that is either impossible or unsafe to do backmount? Is there place in DIR for sidemount IF the dive parameters demand it? If so, what are the protocols? Or does a DIR diver just not do that dive?

I am not trying to start a debate here, although one will probably occur, I am just truely curious.

scubafool:
and no, a search didn't turn up any answers.

Ask and Ye shall receive ! :D

DIR and Sidemount

Whoa, you must have went a bit farther back in SB's archives than I did!

Anyhow, my question wasn't definitively answered in that thread, SO, do another search :D .

I believe it's been used in the WKPP, but I understand it was only used where necessity dictated - i.e. only if backmount tanks prevented further exploration.

Still not really an answer though huh.

No, not a definitve answer, but I have faith. This thread is less than an hour old, so I still have plenty of faith.

I am particularily interested in the methods used to make sidemount diving DIR acceptable, since there doesn't seem to be a way to reliably access all of your breathing gas in the event of a regulator failure. Plus I would wonder as to how you would configure the long hose in a sidemount configuration. That discussion I have seen elswhere, but I am interested in the DIR take on it.

I do believe ~ You are poking a hornet's nest with a very short stick, my friend.

somewhere i've read GI3 describe what a DIR sidemount rig looks like. might have been in the gavinscooters archive... if this is a serious question, its probably better asked there... i recommend asbestos underwear...

scubafool:
No, I am not a DIR diver at present and probably won't become one in the future, but this question that I have has been begging to be asked for a while, and no, a search didn't turn up any answers.

From reading quite a few threads in here, my initial thought would be no, since every time the issue of independant doubles come up, those who are DIR take issue with the idea.

But what about a cave dive that is either impossible or unsafe to do backmount? Is there place in DIR for sidemount IF the dive parameters demand it? If so, what are the protocols? Or does a DIR diver just not do that dive?

I am not trying to start a debate here, although one will probably occur, I am just truely curious.

No, there is no DIR configuration and it really isn't used, even by the DIR guys in Mexico. I don't think anyone is even trying to make one work right now. But, when they were, it still involved a necklaced backup and a 7' hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom